Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Cranbrook Kingswood School (Bloomfield Hills, Mich.)

 Organization

Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:

Cranbrook Architectural Office Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1989-01
Abstract Records of the Cranbrook Architectural Office which was responsible for the supervision, inspection, approval and acceptance of all construction work at Cranbrook, beginning with Eliel Saarinen's leadership through its closure in the 1980s. The materials reflect the planning and building phases of the Brookside School (BS), Christ Church Cranbrook (CCC), Cranbrook Academy of Art (CAA), Cranbrook House, Cranbrook Institute of Science (CIS), Cranbrook School (CS), Kingswood School (KS), and...
Dates: 1925 - 1987

Cranbrook Foundation Office Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1981-05
Abstract The Cranbrook Foundation was established on November 28, 1927, by George Gough Booth and Ellen Scripps Booth. It was a trust and administrative entity to endow and support the six institutions that George and Ellen had founded: Brookside School Cranbrook, Christ Church Cranbrook, Cranbrook Academy of Art, Cranbrook Institute of Science, Cranbrook School, and Kingswood School Cranbrook. It's initial mission was, "to add to and strengthen the educational and cultural facilities within the State...
Dates: 1926 - 1973

Saarinen Family Papers

 Collection
Identifier: 1990-08
Abstract Finnish architect, Gottlieb Eliel Saarinen was born August 20, 1873. In 1904 Saarinen married artist Minna Carolina Mathilde Louise “Loja” Gesellius (b. 1879). The Saarinen's daughter Eeva Lisa “Pipsan” was born in Helsingfors, Finland on 31 March 1905 and their son Eero was born in Kyrkslaett, Finland on 20 August 1910. In 1923 Eliel met the Detroit newspaper magnate George Gough Booth, who was to become his chief patron in America. At Booth’s invitation, Saarinen moved his practice to...
Dates: 1880 - 1989

J. Robert F. and Pipsan Saarinen Swanson Papers

 Collection
Identifier: 1990-01
Abstract Jons Robert (Bob) Ferdinand Swanson (1900-1981) graduated from the University of Michigan School of Architecture in 1924, where he had and become friends with Henry Scripps Booth. In 1924, they established the architectural firm, Swanson and Booth. In 1927, the partnership dissolved and Bob established his own practice. Eva Lisa (Pipsan) Saarinen (1905-1979), daughter of Eliel and Loja Saarinen, studied weaving, ceramics, and fabric design at University of Helskini. She married Bob in 1926 and...
Dates: 1900 - 1983