Cranbrook Kingswood School (Bloomfield Hills, Mich.)
Found in 8 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract The Cranbrook Academy of Arts Women’s Committee was founded on February 11, 1966 as the social arm of the Friends of the Academy (the Museum’s new membership program). The committee’s purpose was to promote and undertake activities and projects that would further the welfare of the Academy and the Museum. Throughout nearly forty years the committee hosted numerous events, programs, and fundraising projects until disbanded in 2002. The bulk of the collection reflects primarly the Women's...
Dates: 1966 - 2006
Abstract The Cranbrook Foundation was established on November 28, 1927, by George Gough Booth and Ellen Scripps Booth. It was a trust and administrative entity to endow and support the six institutions that George and Ellen had founded: Brookside School Cranbrook, Christ Church Cranbrook, Cranbrook Academy of Art, Cranbrook Institute of Science, Cranbrook School, and Kingswood School Cranbrook. It's initial mission was, "to add to and strengthen the educational and cultural facilities within the State...
Dates: 1926 - 1973
Abstract Frederick Olds photographed special events for the Cranbrook Educational Community (CEC) from 1982-2002. The bulk of this work was with the Cranbrook-Kingswood Dancers under the leadership of Jessica Sinclair. Sinclair studied with modern dance legends, such as Martha Graham, Merce Cunningham, and Jose Limon. and began teaching modern dance as part of Kingswood School’s physical education program. During her tenure, Sinclair was responsible for the growth of Cranbrook’s dance department. In...
Dates: 1982 - 2002
Abstract Cranbrook history dates back to 1904 when George and Ellen Booth purchased land in Bloomfield Hills, MI for their home. The next five decades saw the majority of this land transformed into an educational, artistic, and scientific community. In the early 1970s, a major reorganzition created the Cranbrook Educational Community. More than a century later, in 2021, this Community comprises five program areas: Cranbrook Schools, Cranbrook Art Academy, Cranbrook Art Museum, Cranbrook Institute of...
Dates: circa 1830-; Majority of material found within 1931 - 1970
Abstract In 1900, George Gough Booth established the Cranbrook Press at the Detroit Evening News building. The enterprise lasted only two years, but it was later revived at Cranbrook in 1930. The Print Shop was headed by Edward Alonzo Miller, a well-known typographer, and Jean Eschmann, a bookbinder of high repute, and already employed by Booth, provided fine leather bindings. The first volume produced by Miller and Eschmann was a service book for the Festival of Gifts at Cranbrook Church. The...
Dates: 1929 - 1975
Abstract Jeanne (Hargreaves) Graham graduated from Kingswood School in 1957. Her parents, Jeanne Wilson Hargreaves and William B. Hargreaves also graduated from Kingswood and Cranbrook, both in 1935. Jeanne Graham's grandfather, Charles Wilson, gave the commencement speech at the 1957 Kingswood graduation ceremonies and, at the time, was the United States’ Secretary of Defense. This small collection contains papers and memorabilia from both Jeanne Graham and her parents' days as students at Cranbrook...
Dates: 1934 - 1957
Abstract Jons Robert (Bob) Ferdinand Swanson (1900-1981) graduated from the University of Michigan School of Architecture in 1924, where he had and become friends with Henry Scripps Booth. In 1924, they established the architectural firm, Swanson and Booth. In 1927, the partnership dissolved and Bob established his own practice. Eva Lisa (Pipsan) Saarinen (1905-1979), daughter of Eliel and Loja Saarinen, studied weaving, ceramics, and fabric design at University of Helskini. She married Bob in 1926 and...
Dates: 1900 - 1983
Abstract Lee A White was a journalist, working for the Detroit News from 1911 until his retirement in 1952, except between 1914-1917, when he was an associate professor and chairman of the journalism department at the University of Washington. He developed a close relationship with George G. Booth, serving as his Editorial Secretary and, from 1936, he also served as Chief Librarian for the newspaper, and became its first Director of Public Relations. He served as Director of Cranbrook School for 20...
Dates: 1926 - 1958