Cranbrook School (Bloomfield Hills, Mich.)
Found in 6 Collections and/or Records:
File — Container: Box 44, Folder: 1
Collection Scope From the Collection: Series I. Administrative (1927-1973): Included here is correspondence (both outgoing and incoming) from George G. Booth (chairman of the Foundation from 1927-1949), from Executive Directors, Harry S. Booth and Edward Lerchen, and with the Trustees. Also included are the minutes of the meetings of the Trustees, as well as correspondence regarding various members of the Foundation staff, including the Secretary and the educational consultant. Subseries 4: Office Administration has been arranged...
Dates: 1951 - 1969-07
Abstract The Cranbrook Academy of Arts Women’s Committee was founded on February 11, 1966 as the social arm of the Friends of the Academy (the Museum’s new membership program). The committee’s purpose was to promote and undertake activities and projects that would further the welfare of the Academy and the Museum. Throughout nearly forty years the committee hosted numerous events, programs, and fundraising projects until disbanded in 2002. The bulk of the collection reflects primarly the Women's...
Dates: 1966 - 2006
Abstract George Herbst served as Vice President of Finance and Administration of Cranbrook Educational Community between 1986 and 1996. Herbst’s administrative duties included managing capital projects, finances, legal actions, and human relations. During his term, Herbst also oversaw numerous projects including restoration or construction initiatives for the Greek Theatre, Kingswood School, Cranbrook House, the Henry Booth Studio, and the DeSalle Auditorium. He was also involved in the acquisition of...
Dates: 1966 - 1995; Majority of material found within 1984 - 1992
Abstract Cranbrook history dates back to 1904 when George and Ellen Booth purchased land in Bloomfield Hills, MI for their home. The next five decades saw the majority of this land transformed into an educational, artistic, and scientific community. In the early 1970s, a major reorganzition created the Cranbrook Educational Community. More than a century later, in 2021, this Community comprises five program areas: Cranbrook Schools, Cranbrook Art Academy, Cranbrook Art Museum, Cranbrook Institute of...
Dates: circa 1830-; Majority of material found within 1931 - 1970
Abstract From 1925 to 1927, Curtis attended the Hill School in Birmingham and in September 1927 he became a charter member of Cranbrook School by entering as a first former. He graduated from Cranbrook School in 1933. It was during the summer of 1927 that Curtis met Cranbrook School's first headmaster, William O. Stevens. He admired Dr. and Mrs. Stevens and they ultimately maintained a close friendship throughout the rest of their lives. Roswell Curtis was an organizer and original member of the Alumni...
Dates: 1906 - 1980
Abstract The Horizon’s Upward Bound (HUB) program was initially established in 1965 by Cranbrook Schools as a two-phased (Summer Phase and Winter Phase) residential educational program designed to assist low-income students from the Detroit area. This grant funded program, initially run by Director Ben Snyder, offered academic and personal encouragement with the purpose of exposing children to higher education and professional career opportunities. The program was supported by grants from the Ford...
Dates: 1965 - 2000