Cranbrook School (Bloomfield Hills, Mich.)
Found in 8 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract The Cranbrook Skating Club began as an outgrowth of the Cranbrook Arena Committee. It operated from January 12, 1957 until 1982. It was designed and constructed by Chas. R. Beltz and Company, Cronk and Tocco, The Garrison Company, and the W.J. Stewart companies, to resemble the Williams College facility. In addition to overseeing all aspects of the ice rink operations, the club provided skating for both the public and Cranbrook’s inter-scholastic hockey team six months of the year. Unique in...
Dates: 1952 - 1982; Majority of material found within 1956 - 1980
Abstract The collection documents the life and work of George Gough Booth, a renowned advocate of the arts, and a great philanthropist whose crowning achievement was the establishment of Cranbrook Educational Community. He was also one of the nation's leading newspapermen in the first half of this century. It includes biographical materials including legal documents, travel itineraries, talks and writings, and the financial and business records of the Cranbrook Press. It documents his working life and...
Dates: 1864 - 1949
Abstract The Cranbrook Academy of Arts Women’s Committee was founded on February 11, 1966 as the social arm of the Friends of the Academy (the Museum’s new membership program). The committee’s purpose was to promote and undertake activities and projects that would further the welfare of the Academy and the Museum. Throughout nearly forty years the committee hosted numerous events, programs, and fundraising projects until disbanded in 2002. The bulk of the collection reflects primarly the Women's...
Dates: 1966 - 2006
Cranbrook Educational Community Assistant to the President for Special Projects: Michael Boisvert and David Hart Records
Abstract The collection comprises of materials created or maintained by Michael Boisvert and David Hart who both served as assistant to the President of Special Projects at Cranbrook Educational Community (CEC). Boisvert served in this position from 1984-1985, and David Hart served from 1986-1993. The collection focuses on the internal strategic planning and external consultant master planning for institutional and campus development of Cranbrook Educational Community and its divisions. The files...
Dates: 1918 - 1996; Majority of material found within 1983 - 1993
Abstract Cranbrook history dates back to 1904 when George and Ellen Booth purchased land in Bloomfield Hills, MI for their home. The next five decades saw the majority of this land transformed into an educational, artistic, and scientific community. In the early 1970s, a major reorganzition created the Cranbrook Educational Community. More than a century later, in 2021, this Community comprises five program areas: Cranbrook Schools, Cranbrook Art Academy, Cranbrook Art Museum, Cranbrook Institute of...
Dates: circa 1830-; Majority of material found within 1931 - 1970
Abstract The Horizon’s Upward Bound (HUB) program was initially established in 1965 by Cranbrook Schools as a two-phased (Summer Phase and Winter Phase) residential educational program designed to assist low-income students from the Detroit area. This grant funded program, initially run by Director Ben Snyder, offered academic and personal encouragement with the purpose of exposing children to higher education and professional career opportunities. The program was supported by grants from the Ford...
Dates: 1965 - 2000
Abstract A 1953 graduate of Cranbrook School, Ward Swift Just (1935-2019) was an American war correspondent, journalist, and author of over 17 novels and numerous short stories. He was born into a family of newspaper publishers on September 5, 1935 in Michigan City, Indiana, and raised in Waukegan and Lake Forest, Illinois. Just’s lucrative career spanned over five decades, including his experience as a reporter for the Waukegan News-Sun, a writer for The Reporter magazine and Newsweek, a contributing...
Dates: 1958 - 1991
Abstract Lee A White was a journalist, working for the Detroit News from 1911 until his retirement in 1952, except between 1914-1917, when he was an associate professor and chairman of the journalism department at the University of Washington. He developed a close relationship with George G. Booth, serving as his Editorial Secretary and, from 1936, he also served as Chief Librarian for the newspaper, and became its first Director of Public Relations. He served as Director of Cranbrook School for 20...
Dates: 1926 - 1958