Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Detroit News (Firm)

 Organization

Found in 5 Collections and/or Records:

Henry Wood Booth Papers

 Collection
Identifier: 1985-05
Abstract Henry Wood Booth, husband to Clara Louise Irene Gagnier, and father of Cranbrook Founder George Gough Booth, was an English emigrant. Active in temperance work, he was also an inventor, writer, and speaker at many Detroit area churches. Published in several news and temperance papers, including a religious page in the Detroit News, for a short period he even operated the Sunday Times in Toronto. As an inventor, Henry Wood Booth received a United States patents commission during the years...
Dates: 1814 - 1969; Majority of material found within 1882 - 1930

James Scripps and John McLaughlin Booth Papers

 Collection
Identifier: 1990-14
Abstract James Scripps Booth, an automobile designer, artist, and philosopher was the eldest son of George Gough Booth and Ellen Scripps Booth born May 31, 1888, in the Trumbull Avenue home of his grandfather James Edmund Scripps, founder and publisher of the Detroit Evening News. He built a prototype of the Bi-Autogo and in 1913 Booth, uncle William J. Scripps and John Batterman formed the Scripps-Booth Cyclecar Company, manufacturers of small, belt-driven vehicles, the JB Rocket and the Packet....
Dates: 1907 - 1980

Stephen Farr Booth Papers

 Collection
Identifier: 2005-06
Abstract Stephen “Steve” Farr Booth was the eldest son of Henry Scripps and Carolyn Farr Booth, and grandson of Cranbrook founders, George Gough and Ellen Scripps Booth. He graduated from Cranbrook School in 1943 and attended Purdue University. He served as an aviation cadet in the U.S. Army Air Corps during the Second World War, from 1943 to 1945. During the 1950s, he became a journalist and an editor for the Pontiac Daily Press and later a publicity manager at WWJ TV & Radio, Detroit, Michigan....
Dates: 1939 - 2009

Cranbrook Academy of Art Women's Committee

 Collection
Identifier: 1991-01
Abstract The Cranbrook Academy of Arts Women’s Committee was founded on February 11, 1966 as the social arm of the Friends of the Academy (the Museum’s new membership program). The committee’s purpose was to promote and undertake activities and projects that would further the welfare of the Academy and the Museum. Throughout nearly forty years the committee hosted numerous events, programs, and fundraising projects until disbanded in 2002. The bulk of the collection reflects primarly the Women's...
Dates: 1966 - 2006

Samuel Simpson Marquis Papers

 Collection
Identifier: 1983-07
Abstract This collection documents the life and work of Rev. Dr. Samuel Simpson Marquis (1866-1948). Ordained as an Episcopalian priest, he served parishes in Massachusetts before being called to St. Joseph's Church in Detroit, Michigan. In 1906, he became Dean of St. Paul's Cathedral where he oversaw construction of the new cathedral building designed by Ralph Adams Cram. Between 1915-1920, he worked in the Welfare Department of Ford Motor Company before returning to St. Joseph's in 1921. He moved to...
Dates: 1817 - 1985; Majority of material found within 1889 - 1940