Cranbrook (Bloomfield Hills, Mich.)
Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract In 1923, George Gough Booth wrote to the Rev. Samuel Simpson Marquis with his ideas for building an Episcopal church and school on the Cranbrook estate to serve the needs of the growing Bloomfield Hills community. Booth would fund the construction of the church and provide an endowment for its maintenance. After obtaining the agreement of Bishop Herman Page, hiring and architect and a contractor, a groundbreaking ceremony took place on July 5, 1925. Christ Church Cranbrook was consecrated on...
Dates: 1923 - 2002
Abstract The Cranbrook Writers' Guild (CWG) was a non-profit organization that operated between 1970 and 2008. The organization's focus was continuing the four-day Cranbrook Writers' Conference which was a special project of the literature committee of the Michigan State Council for the Arts. The conference sponsored student writers from Michigan colleges and comprised of workshops and seminars led by established professional writers. The materials within the collection cover a range of...
Dates: 1967 - 2008; Majority of material found within 1980 - 1993
Abstract Melvyn Maxwell Smith (1914-1984) was born on March 12, 1914, in Detroit, Michigan, into an orthodox Jewish family. After graduating from Wayne State University’s College of Education. Smith took a teaching position at Detroit’s Cody High School where he also established the Comet yearbook. He was also part owner of G.G. & S. Realty, which later became G.G. & W. Sara Evelyn Stein (1907-2005), a kindergarten teacher was born in 1907, in South Fork, Pennsylvania into an orthodox Jewish...
Dates: 1908 - 2017