Episcopal Church. Diocese of Michigan
Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:
George Gough Booth Papers
Abstract The collection documents the life and work of George Gough Booth, a renowned advocate of the arts, and a great philanthropist whose crowning achievement was the establishment of Cranbrook Educational Community. He was also one of the nation's leading newspapermen in the first half of this century. It includes biographical materials including legal documents, travel itineraries, talks and writings, and the financial and business records of the Cranbrook Press. It documents his working life...
Dates: 1864 - 1949
Christ Church Cranbrook Records
Abstract In 1923, George Gough Booth wrote to the Rev. Samuel Simpson Marquis with his ideas for building an Episcopal church and school on the Cranbrook estate to serve the needs of the growing Bloomfield Hills community. Booth would fund the construction of the church and provide an endowment for its maintenance. After obtaining the agreement of Bishop Herman Page, hiring and architect and a contractor, a groundbreaking ceremony took place on July 5, 1925. Christ Church Cranbrook was consecrated on...
Dates: 1923 - 2002
Samuel Simpson Marquis Papers
Abstract This collection documents the life and work of Rev. Dr. Samuel Simpson Marquis (1866-1948). Ordained as an Episcopalian priest, he served parishes in Massachusetts before being called to St. Joseph's Church in Detroit, Michigan. In 1906, he became Dean of St. Paul's Cathedral where he oversaw construction of the new cathedral building designed by Ralph Adams Cram. Between 1915-1920, he worked in the Welfare Department of Ford Motor Company before returning to St. Joseph's in 1921. He moved...
Dates: 1817 - 1985; Majority of material found within 1889 - 1940
Lee A. White Papers
Abstract Lee A White was a journalist, working for the Detroit News from 1911 until his retirement in 1952, except between 1914-1917, when he was an associate professor and chairman of the journalism department at the University of Washington. He developed a close relationship with George G. Booth, serving as his Editorial Secretary and, from 1936, he also served as Chief Librarian for the newspaper, and became its first Director of Public Relations. He served as Director of Cranbrook School for 20...
Dates: 1926 - 1958