Christ Church Cranbrook (Bloomfield Hills, Mich.)
Found in 8 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract The Cranbrook Foundation was established on November 28, 1927, by George Gough Booth and Ellen Scripps Booth. It was a trust and administrative entity to endow and support the six institutions that George and Ellen had founded: Brookside School Cranbrook, Christ Church Cranbrook, Cranbrook Academy of Art, Cranbrook Institute of Science, Cranbrook School, and Kingswood School Cranbrook. It's initial mission was, "to add to and strengthen the educational and cultural facilities within the...
Dates: 1926 - 1973
Abstract After various attempts at a school for young children in the area, the Bloomfield Hills School opened in 1922, occupying the Meeting House owned and built by George G. Booth at Lone Pine and Cranbrook Roads. With subsequent building additions by Booth and his son Henry Scripps Booth, the student body likewise grew from eight students in its first year to 101 by 1929. A private co-ed school for students in grades K-6, the school officially became Brookside School Cranbrook in 1930. Undergoing...
Dates: 1922 - 2019; Majority of material found within 1923 - 1999
Abstract Kingswood School Cranbrook was a day and boarding school for girls beginning with the seventh grade and continuing through the twelfth grade. Kingswood School was established through a deed of Trust executed on July 24, 1930, between the Cranbrook Foundation and a Board of Trustees consisting of William T. Barbour, Ralph Stone, Luman W. Goodenough, Alvan Macauley, Clarence H. Booth, James Inglis, and Sidney D. Waldon. The Board selected Gladys Turnbach, of Miss Hall’s School in Pittsfield,...
Dates: 1930 - 1985
Abstract Jeanne (Hargreaves) Graham graduated from Kingswood School in 1957. Her parents, Jeanne Wilson Hargreaves and William B. Hargreaves also graduated from Kingswood and Cranbrook, both in 1935. Jeanne Graham's grandfather, Charles Wilson, gave the commencement speech at the 1957 Kingswood graduation ceremonies and, at the time, was the United States’ Secretary of Defense. This small collection contains papers and memorabilia from both Jeanne Graham and her parents' days as students at Cranbrook...
Dates: 1934 - 1957
Abstract The Institute of Advanced Pastoral Studies was established in 1957 for continuing theological education for clergy and lay leaders to share ideas on integrating historic Christian insights with twentieth century findings from human sciences and open dialogue with other traditions. It hosted seminars and conferences bringing together leaders from Protestant, Catholic, and Jewish traditions. The founder, Dr. Reuel L. Howe, remained director until 1973 and was succeeded by Dr. John E....
Dates: 1957 - 1981
Abstract John W. (Jack) Kausch (1929-2002) was a Cranbrook School ('47) and University of Michigan ('56) alum whose keen interest in photography and film led to a lucrative career as a photographer, filmmaker, and entrepreneur. His first stint as a photographer for Cranbrook’s student newspaper (The Crane), and yearbook (The Brook) was the launchpad for his 34-year long career. Kausch not only owned a photographic studio in Birmingham, MI, he participated in projects organized by the likes of the Jam...
Dates: 1960 - 2001
Abstract William Oliver Stevens was headmaster of Cranbrook School from 1927-1935. These documents consist of office records in the form of correspondence, carbon copies, and drafts from William O. Stevens, first headmaster of Cranbrook School. Additionally, there is correspondence after his tenure at Cranbrook, but concerning Cranbrook masters, other employees, and alumni is included. Some black and white photographs are appended to alumni, faculty and student documents. The bulk of the collection...
Dates: 1927 - 1935
Abstract Lee A White was a journalist, working for the Detroit News from 1911 until his retirement in 1952, except between 1914-1917, when he was an associate professor and chairman of the journalism department at the University of Washington. He developed a close relationship with George G. Booth, serving as his Editorial Secretary and, from 1936, he also served as Chief Librarian for the newspaper, and became its first Director of Public Relations. He served as Director of Cranbrook School for 20...
Dates: 1926 - 1958