Christ Church Cranbrook
Found in 9 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract James Scripps Booth, an automobile designer, artist, and philosopher was the eldest son of George Gough Booth and Ellen Scripps Booth born May 31, 1888, in the Trumbull Avenue home of his grandfather James Edmund Scripps, founder and publisher of the Detroit Evening News. He built a prototype of the Bi-Autogo and in 1913 Booth, uncle William J. Scripps and John Batterman formed the Scripps-Booth Cyclecar Company, manufacturers of small, belt-driven vehicles, the JB Rocket and the Packet....
Dates: 1907 - 1980
Abstract The Cranbrook Foundation was established on November 28, 1927, by George Gough Booth and Ellen Scripps Booth. It was a trust and administrative entity to endow and support the six institutions that George and Ellen had founded: Brookside School Cranbrook, Christ Church Cranbrook, Cranbrook Academy of Art, Cranbrook Institute of Science, Cranbrook School, and Kingswood School Cranbrook. It's initial mission was, "to add to and strengthen the educational and cultural facilities within the State...
Dates: 1926 - 1973
Abstract Cranbrook history dates back to 1904 when George and Ellen Booth purchased land in Bloomfield Hills, MI for their home. The next five decades saw the majority of this land transformed into an educational, artistic, and scientific community. In the early 1970s, a major reorganzition created the Cranbrook Educational Community. More than a century later, in 2021, this Community comprises five program areas: Cranbrook Schools, Cranbrook Art Academy, Cranbrook Art Museum, Cranbrook Institute of...
Dates: circa 1830-; Majority of material found within 1931 - 1970
Abstract After various attempts at a school for young children in the area, the Bloomfield Hills School opened in 1922, occupying the Meeting House owned and built by George G. Booth at Lone Pine and Cranbrook Roads. With subsequent building additions by Booth and his son Henry Scripps Booth, the student body likewise grew from eight students in its first year to 101 by 1929. A private co-ed school for students in grades K-6, the school officially became Brookside School Cranbrook in 1930. Undergoing...
Dates: 1922 - 2019; Majority of material found within 1923 - 1999
Abstract Jeanne (Hargreaves) Graham graduated from Kingswood School in 1957. Her parents, Jeanne Wilson Hargreaves and William B. Hargreaves also graduated from Kingswood and Cranbrook, both in 1935. Jeanne Graham's grandfather, Charles Wilson, gave the commencement speech at the 1957 Kingswood graduation ceremonies and, at the time, was the United States’ Secretary of Defense. This small collection contains papers and memorabilia from both Jeanne Graham and her parents' days as students at Cranbrook...
Dates: 1934 - 1957
Abstract John W. (Jack) Kausch (1929-2002) was a Cranbrook School ('47) and University of Michigan ('56) alum whose keen interest in photography and film led to a lucrative career as a photographer, filmmaker, and entrepreneur. His first stint as a photographer for Cranbrook’s student newspaper (The Crane), and yearbook (The Brook) was the launchpad for his 34-year long career. Kausch not only owned a photographic studio in Birmingham, MI, he participated in projects organized by the likes of the Jam...
Dates: 1960 - 2001
Abstract Arthur Nevill Kirk was born on July 20, 1881, in Lewes, Sussex, England. He taught as a metalcraft instructor before George Gough Booth persuaded him to move to the United States. Kirk arrived in September 1927 and began designing ecclesiastical pieces for Christ Church Cranbrook, teaching at Cranbrook School (1927-1929), and two years later directing the the metals shop of the Academy of Art and subsequently the Silver Department. When economic depression caused the art shops at the Academy...
Dates: 1873 - 2015
Abstract Richard Thomas graduated from the Cranbrook Academy of Art in May 1948 with an MFA in painting, subsequently re-establishing the Metalsmithing Department at the Academy and becoming Head for thirty-six years. He also served in other administrative capacities for the Academy, including Dean of Students (1951-50), Registrar (1962-65), Administrative Assistant to the President (1965-66), and Dean of Students (1968). His chief interest was liturgical art, fabricating around 300 objects for...
Dates: 1930 - 1984; Majority of material found within 1950 - 1978
Abstract Lee A White was a journalist, working for the Detroit News from 1911 until his retirement in 1952, except between 1914-1917, when he was an associate professor and chairman of the journalism department at the University of Washington. He developed a close relationship with George G. Booth, serving as his Editorial Secretary and, from 1936, he also served as Chief Librarian for the newspaper, and became its first Director of Public Relations. He served as Director of Cranbrook School for 20...
Dates: 1926 - 1958