Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract Records of the Cranbrook Architectural Office which was responsible for the supervision, inspection, approval and acceptance of all construction work at Cranbrook, beginning with Eliel Saarinen's leadership through its closure in the 1980s. The materials reflect the planning and building phases of the Brookside School (BS), Christ Church Cranbrook (CCC), Cranbrook Academy of Art (CAA), Cranbrook House, Cranbrook Institute of Science (CIS), Cranbrook School (CS), Kingswood School (KS), and...
Dates: 1925 - 1987
Abstract Swanson Associates, Inc., an architectural and planning firm that incorporated interior design, was established in 1947 by J. Robert F. Swanson and Pipsan Saarinen Swanson. In December 1965, it split into two affiliated companies, Swanson Associates, Inc., and Countryside Investment Corporation, which managed rental and investment assets. Pipsan was its director and the Swanson family owned its stock. In 1973, Ludwig Jorgensen negotiated the purchase of the Lone Pine Inn from the Cranbrook...
Dates: 1924 - 1982
Abstract Jons Robert (Bob) Ferdinand Swanson (1900-1981) graduated from the University of Michigan School of Architecture in 1924, where he had and become friends with Henry Scripps Booth. In 1924, they established the architectural firm, Swanson and Booth. In 1927, the partnership dissolved and Bob established his own practice. Eva Lisa (Pipsan) Saarinen (1905-1979), daughter of Eliel and Loja Saarinen, studied weaving, ceramics, and fabric design at University of Helskini. She married Bob in 1926 and...
Dates: 1900 - 1983