- Existence: 1927 - 1973
Found in 22 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract Ellen Warren Scripps Booth co-founder of Cranbrook with her husband George G. Booth, was eldest daughter of James E. Scripps, founder of the Evening News (later the Detroit News), and Harriet J. Messinger Scripps. As a young woman, Ellen Booth did editorial work for both the Evening News and the Detroit Tribune, which her father purchased in 1891. She was the mother of five children: James S. Booth (1888-1954), Grace E. Booth (1890-1978), Warren S. Booth (1894-1987), Henry S. Booth (1897-1988),...
Dates: 1870 - 1948
Abstract The collection documents the life and work of George Gough Booth, a renowned advocate of the arts, and a great philanthropist whose crowning achievement was the establishment of Cranbrook Educational Community. He was also one of the nation's leading newspapermen in the first half of this century. It includes biographical materials including legal documents, travel itineraries, talks and writings, and the financial and business records of the Cranbrook Press. It documents his working life and...
Dates: 1864 - 1949
Abstract Henry Scripps Booth and Carolyn Farr Booth, lovers of art, music, and travel, were lifelong advocates of Cranbrook, dedicated to its development, both physically and organizationally. Henry (1897-1988) was the second son of the founders of Cranbrook, George Gough Booth and Ellen Scripps Booth. Carolyn (1902-1984) was the daughter of Merton E. Farr, president of the American Shipbuilding Company. While an architecture student at the University of Michigan, Henry helped his father design the...
Dates: 1897 - 1988; Majority of material found within 1909 - 1988
Abstract James Scripps Booth, an automobile designer, artist, and philosopher was the eldest son of George Gough Booth and Ellen Scripps Booth born May 31, 1888, in the Trumbull Avenue home of his grandfather James Edmund Scripps, founder and publisher of the Detroit Evening News. He built a prototype of the Bi-Autogo and in 1913 Booth, uncle William J. Scripps and John Batterman formed the Scripps-Booth Cyclecar Company, manufacturers of small, belt-driven vehicles, the JB Rocket and the Packet....
Dates: 1907 - 1980
Abstract Kate Agnes Thompson married Frank Latham Bromley on May 2, 1900, in Detroit. They moved to Bloomfield Hills and, as neighbors, became ensconced in the Cranbrook community. Kate’s personal interests centered in the arts, and she became very good friends with Carl and Olga Milles, as well as with other Cranbrook personalities. The collection consists of photocopies of excerpts from the diaries of Kate Thompson Bromley. The diary entries document Bromley’s association with Cranbrook personalities,...
Dates: 1916 - 1955
Abstract John H. Buckberrough was born in England and emigrated to the U.S. as a young man. Prior to working at Cranbrook, he worked from 1908-1918 at the Detroit Edison Co. as engineer and draftsman, and as a teller for the First State Savings Bank, from 1918-1927. His employment in the Cranbrook Architectural Office as civil engineer, was from 1927 until 1955. He died in Sept. 1955. The collection consists of Buckberrough’s 10 field notebooks filled with drawings and notations. Types of information...
Dates: 1926 - 1955
Abstract In 1923, George Gough Booth wrote to the Rev. Samuel Simpson Marquis with his ideas for building an Episcopal church and school on the Cranbrook estate to serve the needs of the growing Bloomfield Hills community. Booth would fund the construction of the church and provide an endowment for its maintenance. After obtaining the agreement of Bishop Herman Page, hiring and architect and a contractor, a groundbreaking ceremony took place on July 5, 1925. Christ Church Cranbrook was consecrated on...
Dates: 1923 - 2002
File — Container: Box 3, Folder: 2
Collection Scope From the Collection: The collection is arranged in five series: SERIES I: Cranbrook Academy of Art (CAA) (1946-1978) deals with Thomas’s role as head of the Art Academy Metalsmithing Department and as faculty member, and is arranged topically, then chronologically. Faculty meeting minutes, interspersed with faculty-related communications, are chronologically arranged and cover the period of Zoltan Sepeshy’s retirement and the search for a new Art Academy director. Items on the Metalsmithing Dept....
Dates: 1960 - 1969
Abstract In 1927 George G. Booth established the Cranbrook Academy of Art as an educational environment where students could come and learn from master artists in residence. The Academy functioned as a department under the Cranbrook Foundation and included painting, architecture, sculpture, ceramics and decorative design. The first Academy students were taken in early 1930. Eliel Saarinen was the first President (1932-1946). In 1942, with the opening of the Museum and Library, the Academy became an...
Dates: Majority of material found within 1942 - 1973
Abstract Records of the Cranbrook Architectural Office which was responsible for the supervision, inspection, approval and acceptance of all construction work at Cranbrook, beginning with Eliel Saarinen's leadership through its closure in the 1980s. The materials reflect the planning and building phases of the Brookside School (BS), Christ Church Cranbrook (CCC), Cranbrook Academy of Art (CAA), Cranbrook House, Cranbrook Institute of Science (CIS), Cranbrook School (CS), Kingswood School (KS), and...
Dates: 1925 - 1987