Cranbrook Educational Community
- Existence: 1973
Found in 11 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract In 1927 George G. Booth established the Cranbrook Academy of Art as an educational environment where students could come and learn from master artists in residence. In 1942, the Museum and Library were opened. The Art Museum was intended not only to house artworks acquired from George G. Booth through the Cranbrook Foundation, but also to serve as a teaching tool through its permanent collections and exhibitions in both the museum and the library. The collection holds a year-by-year gathering...
Dates: 1930 - 1999
Abstract In 1927 George G. Booth established the Cranbrook Academy of Art as an educational environment where students could come and learn from master artists in residence. In 1942, the Museum and Library were opened. The Art Museum was intended not only to house artworks acquired from George G. Booth through the Cranbrook Foundation, but also to serve as a teaching tool through its permanent collections and exhibitions in both the museum and the library. This collection contains publications such as...
Dates: 1931 - 1999
Abstract The Cranbrook Academy of Arts Women’s Committee was founded on February 11, 1966 as the social arm of the Friends of the Academy (the Museum’s new membership program). The committee’s purpose was to promote and undertake activities and projects that would further the welfare of the Academy and the Museum. Throughout nearly forty years the committee hosted numerous events, programs, and fundraising projects until disbanded in 2002. The bulk of the collection reflects primarly the Women's...
Dates: 1966 - 2006
Abstract Lillian Hinckley Bauder (1939- ) was President and Chief Executive Officer of Cranbrook Educational Community (CEC) from 1984 to 1996. A renowned author, educator and administrator, Dr. Bauder is also a respected community leader and a vigorous advocate for the arts. The collection includes committee meeting materials from the Architectural Advisory Committee, the Governance Committee, the Compensation, and Long-Range Planning Committees as well as the Board of Trustees and the Ad Hoc...
Dates: 1922 - 2006
Abstract George Herbst served as Vice President of Finance and Administration of Cranbrook Educational Community between 1986 and 1996. Herbst’s administrative duties included managing capital projects, finances, legal actions, and human relations. During his term, Herbst also oversaw numerous projects including restoration or construction initiatives for the Greek Theatre, Kingswood School, Cranbrook House, the Henry Booth Studio, and the DeSalle Auditorium. He was also involved in the acquisition of...
Dates: 1966 - 1995; Majority of material found within 1984 - 1992
Abstract This collection is based upon the rededicatory production in September 1991 of The Cranbrook Masque, first staged at Cranbrook’s Greek Theatre in 1916. The collection comprises of materials collected by Mark Coir, former Cranbrook Archives Director, and chair of the Cranbrook Greek Theatre Rededication Committee. Included are audiovisual materials; correspondence; financial; and administrative records. Also included are publicity, and production materials including a script, a musical score,...
Dates: 1916 - 1992; Majority of material found within 1983 - 1991
Abstract Cranbrook history dates back to 1904 when George and Ellen Booth purchased land in Bloomfield Hills, MI for their home. The next five decades saw the majority of this land transformed into an educational, artistic, and scientific community. In the early 1970s, a major reorganzition created the Cranbrook Educational Community. More than a century later, in 2021, this Community comprises five program areas: Cranbrook Schools, Cranbrook Art Academy, Cranbrook Art Museum, Cranbrook Institute of...
Dates: circa 1830-; Majority of material found within 1931 - 1970
Abstract After various attempts at a school for young children in the area, the Bloomfield Hills School opened in 1922, occupying the Meeting House owned and built by George G. Booth at Lone Pine and Cranbrook Roads. With subsequent building additions by Booth and his son Henry Scripps Booth, the student body likewise grew from eight students in its first year to 101 by 1929. A private co-ed school for students in grades K-6, the school officially became Brookside School Cranbrook in 1930. Undergoing...
Dates: 1922 - 2019; Majority of material found within 1923 - 1999
Abstract The Cranbrook Writers' Guild (CWG) was a non-profit organization that operated between 1970 and 2008. The organization's focus was continuing the four-day Cranbrook Writers' Conference which was a special project of the literature committee of the Michigan State Council for the Arts. The conference sponsored student writers from Michigan colleges and comprised of workshops and seminars led by established professional writers. The materials within the collection cover a range of...
Dates: 1967 - 2008; Majority of material found within 1980 - 1993
Abstract Margueritte Eleanor Kimball was born on October 19, 1906, in Clinton, Massachusetts. In 1942 Kimball joined the Cranbrook Academy of Art as a student and immediately began serving as the Academy's financial secretary. A beloved and respected member of the Cranbrook community, Kimball used her position to interact with and collect various materials relating to the Academy's faculty and students. Kimball retired in 1968, nevertheless spending her remaining years in Boston as an exhibiting artist....
Dates: Majority of material found in circa 1941-1996; undated