Cranbrook House & Gardens (Organization)
Found in 6 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract Records of the Cranbrook Architectural Office which was responsible for the supervision, inspection, approval and acceptance of all construction work at Cranbrook, beginning with Eliel Saarinen's leadership through its closure in the 1980s. The materials reflect the planning and building phases of the Brookside School (BS), Christ Church Cranbrook (CCC), Cranbrook Academy of Art (CAA), Cranbrook House, Cranbrook Institute of Science (CIS), Cranbrook School (CS), Kingswood School (KS), and...
Dates: 1925 - 1987
Abstract The Cranbrook Foundation was established on November 28, 1927, by George Gough Booth and Ellen Scripps Booth. It was a trust and administrative entity to endow and support the six institutions that George and Ellen had founded: Brookside School Cranbrook, Christ Church Cranbrook, Cranbrook Academy of Art, Cranbrook Institute of Science, Cranbrook School, and Kingswood School Cranbrook. It's initial mission was, "to add to and strengthen the educational and cultural facilities within the...
Dates: 1926 - 1973
Abstract Cranbrook history dates back to 1904 when George and Ellen Booth purchased land in Bloomfield Hills, MI for their home. The next five decades saw the majority of this land transformed into an educational, artistic, and scientific community. In the early 1970s, a major reorganzition created the Cranbrook Educational Community. More than a century later, in 2021, this Community comprises five program areas: Cranbrook Schools, Cranbrook Art Academy, Cranbrook Art Museum, Cranbrook Institute of...
Dates: circa 1830-; Majority of material found within 1931 - 1970
Abstract Kingswood School Cranbrook was a day and boarding school for girls beginning with the seventh grade and continuing through the twelfth grade. Kingswood School was established through a deed of Trust executed on July 24, 1930, between the Cranbrook Foundation and a Board of Trustees consisting of William T. Barbour, Ralph Stone, Luman W. Goodenough, Alvan Macauley, Clarence H. Booth, James Inglis, and Sidney D. Waldon. The Board selected Gladys Turnbach, of Miss Hall’s School in Pittsfield,...
Dates: 1930 - 1985
Abstract George H. Mitchell and Almeron Whitehead first published The Birmingham Eccentric on 2 May 1878 in Birmingham, Michigan. The four-page issue was a combination of short personal announcements and advertisements. Although both partners wrote for their paper, Whitehead took on the bulk of the writing duties. Under their leadership the paper thrived. In 1912, the two dissolved their partnership as friends leaving Mitchell as the sole publisher. In July 1919, Fred E. Van Black, a linotype...
Dates: 1930 - 2000
Abstract Betty Trost was an avid gardener, whose love of gardening extended beyond her own home to Cranbrook, where she became one of seventeen charter members of the Cranbrook Gardens Auxiliary in 1971. Trost was interested in researching and documenting the history of the gardens and the auxiliary. In 1994, she began gathering information regarding the history and development of the individual garden areas, in anticipation of the 25th anniversary of the auxiliary. From 1996 to its completion in...
Dates: 1951 - 2005