Found in 7 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract Henry Scripps Booth, youngest son of the Cranbrook founders, developed the idea of organizing an auxiliary for the purpose of helping to preserve and improve the gardens surrounding Cranbrook House. The inaugural meeting of the Cranbrook Gardens Auxiliary took place the 4th of March, 1971, at Cranbrook House. The success of this organization led to the creation of the Cranbrook House Auxiliary in 1975 to organize the use of Cranbrook House for receptions and provide information about the house...
Dates: 1950 - 2002
Abstract This collection is based upon the rededicatory production in September 1991 of The Cranbrook Masque, first staged at Cranbrook’s Greek Theatre in 1916. The collection comprises of materials collected by Mark Coir, former Cranbrook Archives Director, and chair of the Cranbrook Greek Theatre Rededication Committee. Included are audiovisual materials; correspondence; financial; and administrative records. Also included are publicity, and production materials including a script, a musical score,...
Dates: 1916 - 1992; Majority of material found within 1983 - 1991
Abstract After various attempts at a school for young children in the area, the Bloomfield Hills School opened in 1922, occupying the Meeting House owned and built by George G. Booth at Lone Pine and Cranbrook Roads. With subsequent building additions by Booth and his son Henry Scripps Booth, the student body likewise grew from eight students in its first year to 101 by 1929. A private co-ed school for students in grades K-6, the school officially became Brookside School Cranbrook in 1930. Undergoing...
Dates: 1922 - 2019; Majority of material found within 1923 - 1999
Abstract The history of the Vettraino family in America links inextricably to Cranbrook Educational Community. Michael Vettraino began working for the Booth family on their farmland in Bloomfield Hills and helped shape Cranbrook's landscape under the direction of founder, George Gough Booth. Michael and his wife Michela, raised six children on the grounds of Cranbrook. Michael’s sons, Dominick and John, both worked at Cranbrook for over 50 years, raising their own families on the grounds. John...
Dates: 2004 - 2005
Abstract Marianne Strengell, daughter of Finnish architect Gustaf Strengell and interior designer Anna Wegelius. Prior to becoming an instructor at Cranbrook in 1937 on Eliel Saarinen's invitation, Strengell held several positions in Scandinavia, designing rugs, textiles and interiors. In 1942, when Loja Saarinen retired, Strengell replaced her as head of the Department of Weaving and Textile Design. She developed a curriculum that emphasized weave structure, versus the more pictorial imagery used by...
Dates: 1620 - 1998; Majority of material found within 1928 - 1995
Abstract Eliel Saarinen, along with his wife Loja, son Eero, daughter Pipsan, and son-in-law J. Robert F. Swanson, founded a creative tradition at Cranbrook that endures to this day. The Saarinens' fame and design philosophies attracted many of the brightest talents in the architectural, design, and planning fields to study at Cranbrook or to work for their businesses --- known variously as Saarinen and Swanson; Saarinen and Saarinen; Saarinen, Swanson, and Saarinen; Swanson Associates; and Eero...
Dates: 1995 - 2001
Abstract Betty Trost was an avid gardener, whose love of gardening extended beyond her own home to Cranbrook, where she became one of seventeen charter members of the Cranbrook Gardens Auxiliary in 1971. Trost was interested in researching and documenting the history of the gardens and the auxiliary. In 1994, she began gathering information regarding the history and development of the individual garden areas, in anticipation of the 25th anniversary of the auxiliary. From 1996 to its completion in 1998,...
Dates: 1951 - 2005