- Existence: 1917 - 1988
Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract In 1927 George G. Booth established the Cranbrook Academy of Art as an educational environment where students could come and learn from master artists in residence. The Academy functioned as a department under the Cranbrook Foundation and included painting, architecture, sculpture, ceramics and decorative design. The first Academy students were taken in early 1930. Eliel Saarinen was the first President (1932-1946). In 1942, with the opening of the Museum and Library, the Academy became an...
Dates: Majority of material found within 1942 - 1973
Abstract Richard Thomas graduated from the Cranbrook Academy of Art in May 1948 with an MFA in painting, subsequently re-establishing the Metalsmithing Department at the Academy and becoming Head for thirty-six years. He also served in other administrative capacities for the Academy, including Dean of Students (1951-50), Registrar (1962-65), Administrative Assistant to the President (1965-66), and Dean of Students (1968). His chief interest was liturgical art, fabricating around 300 objects for...
Dates: 1930 - 1984; Majority of material found within 1950 - 1978