Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Milles, Carl

 Person

Dates

  • Existence: 1875 - 1955

Found in 32 Collections and/or Records:

Cranbrook Press and Photo Department Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1990-42
Abstract In 1900, George Gough Booth established the Cranbrook Press at the Detroit Evening News building. The enterprise lasted only two years, but it was later revived at Cranbrook in 1930. The Print Shop was headed by Edward Alonzo Miller, a well-known typographer, and Jean Eschmann, a bookbinder of high repute, and already employed by Booth, provided fine leather bindings. The first volume produced by Miller and Eschmann was a service book for the Festival of Gifts at Cranbrook Church. The...
Dates: 1929 - 1975

Kingswood School Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1980-01
Abstract Kingswood School Cranbrook was a day and boarding school for girls beginning with the seventh grade and continuing through the twelfth grade. Kingswood School was established through a deed of Trust executed on July 24, 1930, between the Cranbrook Foundation and a Board of Trustees consisting of William T. Barbour, Ralph Stone, Luman W. Goodenough, Alvan Macauley, Clarence H. Booth, James Inglis, and Sidney D. Waldon. The Board selected Gladys Turnbach, of Miss Hall’s School in Pittsfield,...
Dates: 1930 - 1985

William Gehron Papers

 Collection
Identifier: 2003-08
Abstract William Gehron was a lifelong friend of Carl Milles from 1929 when he published an article on him in the journal Architecture. Gehron was instrumental in securing the 1938 commission for Milles of the bronze doors for the Finance Building at Capitol Park, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, a building designed by Gehron. The William Gehron Papers consist primarily of correspondence between Gehron and Carl Milles from 1929-1949. The bulk of the correspondence relates to the Harrisburg projects and...
Dates: 1917 - 2000

History, 1924 - 1988

 File — Container: Box 5, Folder: 10
Collection Scope From the Collection: The records in this collection cover Brookside School from its beginnings, as Bloomfield Hills School in 1922, then from 1930 as Brookside School Cranbrook through 2019. Series I: Governance (1922-1984 contains correspondence, legal documents, and minutes for the Children's School Trust, Board of Trustees, and Board of Directors. Series II: Administration (1922-2004) provides information on admissions; curriculum; histories; and headmistress/headmaster appointments,...
Dates: 1924 - 1988

Margueritte Kimball Papers

 Collection
Identifier: 1991-03
Abstract Margueritte Eleanor Kimball was born on October 19, 1906, in Clinton, Massachusetts. In 1942 Kimball joined the Cranbrook Academy of Art as a student and immediately began serving as the Academy's financial secretary. A beloved and respected member of the Cranbrook community, Kimball used her position to interact with and collect various materials relating to the Academy's faculty and students. Kimball retired in 1968, nevertheless spending her remaining years in Boston as an exhibiting artist....
Dates: Majority of material found in circa 1941-1996; undated

C. Oliver LaGrone Papers

 Collection
Identifier: 1997-01
Abstract Clarence Oliver LaGrone was the first African-American student at the Cranbrook Academy of Art, where he studied with Carl Milles starting in the fall of 1941. Upon completing his studies at Cranbrook, Oliver worked a variety of jobs in order to support his family, including at the Ford Rouge Plant. During the McCarthy era, when Oliver refused to inform on his “communist” contacts in the art world, particularly Paul Robeson, he lost his UAW job. He returned to school, earning the equivalent of...
Dates: 1942 - 1995

Oliver LaGrone Scholarship Committee Papers

 Collection
Identifier: 2017-02
Abstract Clarence Oliver LaGrone was a sculptor, poet and teacher, with a lifelong commitment to universal brotherhood. Oliver was active with the Unitarian Church of Harrisburg from 1970 to 1986. The Oliver LaGrone Scholarship Fund was established in 1972 by members of the Unitarian Church of Harrisburg, PA and in 1974, Oliver contributed the proceeds from the sale of his ‘The Dancer’ sculpture to the fund. The Oliver LaGrone Scholarship Committee was formed to honor him for his spirit, personable...
Dates: 1942 - 2012

Martha M. Lauritzen Papers

 Collection
Identifier: 1999-11
Abstract Martha Lauritzen, a student and friend of Maija Grotell, received her B.F.A. in the spring of 1947 and her M.F.A. in June 1948. She worked as Grotell’s summer assistant through 1952. The collection documents Lauritzen’s experiences at Cranbrook and her relationship with her ceramics mentor, Maija Grotell, including correspondence between Lauritzen and Grotell (1948-1954) and correspondence with other students of Grotell’s. The materials relate to ceramics in the 1940’s, including processes,...
Dates: 1948 - 1997

Nancy Leitch Papers

 Collection
Identifier: 2007-04
Abstract In 1943, Leitch attended Cranbrook to study sculpture with Carl Milles, and was also a student of Maija Grotell, Howard Dearstyne, and Ernest Scheyer. She counted Jon Johnson, Margueritte Kimball, Signe Midelfars, Ruth Robinson, George Koren, Frances Ericsson, and Bob Lohman among her friends during this time. After finishing her first year in the program she was asked to return as Maija Grotell’s studio assistant, a position that she treasured and reflected upon often in her later years. Two...
Dates: 1915 - 1994; Majority of material found within 1930 - 1994

Marianne Strengell Papers

 Collection
Identifier: 1991-07
Abstract Marianne Strengell, daughter of Finnish architect Gustaf Strengell and interior designer Anna Wegelius. Prior to becoming an instructor at Cranbrook in 1937 on Eliel Saarinen's invitation, Strengell held several positions in Scandinavia, designing rugs, textiles and interiors. In 1942, when Loja Saarinen retired, Strengell replaced her as head of the Department of Weaving and Textile Design. She developed a curriculum that emphasized weave structure, versus the more pictorial imagery used by...
Dates: 1620 - 1998; Majority of material found within 1928 - 1995