Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Saarinen, Loja (Minna Carolina Mathilde Louise Gesellius )

 Person

Dates

  • Existence: 1879 - 1968

Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:

Cranbrook Foundation Office Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1981-05
Abstract The Cranbrook Foundation was established on November 28, 1927, by George Gough Booth and Ellen Scripps Booth. It was a trust and administrative entity to endow and support the six institutions that George and Ellen had founded: Brookside School Cranbrook, Christ Church Cranbrook, Cranbrook Academy of Art, Cranbrook Institute of Science, Cranbrook School, and Kingswood School Cranbrook. It's initial mission was, "to add to and strengthen the educational and cultural facilities within the State...
Dates: 1926 - 1973

Carl Magnusson Collection of Astrid Sampe Correspondence

 Collection
Identifier: 2008-09
Abstract Astrid Sampe studied at the Higher Industrial Art School of Stockholm and as an exchange student at the Royal Academy of Art in London. Her career spanned many decades starting in 1935, and encompassed being head of Nordiska Kompaniet (NK), being appointed "Royal Designer, Hon.RDI of the Royal Society of Arts and, in 1951, wove the first fiberglass fabrics. Eero Saarinen and Astrid Sampe had a personal relationship in the early 1950s, as documented in his correspondence to her. These letters...
Dates: 1951 - 1956

Marianne Strengell Papers

 Collection
Identifier: 1991-07
Abstract Marianne Strengell, daughter of Finnish architect Gustaf Strengell and interior designer Anna Wegelius. Prior to becoming an instructor at Cranbrook in 1937 on Eliel Saarinen's invitation, Strengell held several positions in Scandinavia, designing rugs, textiles and interiors. In 1942, when Loja Saarinen retired, Strengell replaced her as head of the Department of Weaving and Textile Design. She developed a curriculum that emphasized weave structure, versus the more pictorial imagery used by...
Dates: 1620 - 1998; Majority of material found within 1928 - 1995

J. Robert F. and Pipsan Saarinen Swanson Papers

 Collection
Identifier: 1990-01
Abstract Jons Robert (Bob) Ferdinand Swanson (1900-1981) graduated from the University of Michigan School of Architecture in 1924, where he had and become friends with Henry Scripps Booth. In 1924, they established the architectural firm, Swanson and Booth. In 1927, the partnership dissolved and Bob established his own practice. Eva Lisa (Pipsan) Saarinen (1905-1979), daughter of Eliel and Loja Saarinen, studied weaving, ceramics, and fabric design at University of Helskini. She married Bob in 1926 and...
Dates: 1900 - 1983