Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract The Benedict House, formerly located at 710 N. Woodward in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, was built in 1819 and later owned by John Benedict. The property changed hands a few more times and was eventually demolished in 1978. The “Ad Hoc Committee to Save the Benedict House, Inc.” was formed by Ronald S. Swanson, Sylvia de P. Swanson, and Michael Cotter to salvage important features of the house including the woodwork, moldings, window casings, and the original hand-made red brick, before its...
Dates: 1967 - 1978
Abstract Marianne Strengell, daughter of Finnish architect Gustaf Strengell and interior designer Anna Wegelius. Prior to becoming an instructor at Cranbrook in 1937 on Eliel Saarinen's invitation, Strengell held several positions in Scandinavia, designing rugs, textiles and interiors. In 1942, when Loja Saarinen retired, Strengell replaced her as head of the Department of Weaving and Textile Design. She developed a curriculum that emphasized weave structure, versus the more pictorial imagery used by...
Dates: 1620 - 1998; Majority of material found within 1928 - 1995