Oscar H. Murray Collection
The collection contains important photographic documentation of Christ Church Cranbrook and its art during its earliest years, as collected by its architect, Oscar Murray. Views of the church show that all of the prints are from the 1920s when the church was first constructed and decorated. Notable are images of sculptures by Alois Lang before they were set in place in the reredos of St. Paul's Chapel, as well as interior and exterior views, mounted on board, by photographer, Peter Nyholm. There are several reproductions of early presentation drawings by Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue Associates as well as photographs by Samuel H. Gottscho which were used by the Mayer, Murray, and Phillip architectural firm. Some photographs in the collection indicate that they were used by the firm in exhibitions. Two related clippings from Architectural Record and The Architec are included.
- 1920 - 1929
- Murray, Oscar (Person)
Access to the collection is unrestricted.
Permission to use collection materials must be requested in writing.
Christ Church Cranbrook is an Episcopal church designed by Oscar H. Murray and his colleagues in the Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue Associates successor firm, Mayers, Murray, and Phillip, and commissioned by George G. Booth to serve the communities of Birmingham and Bloomfield, Mich. The idea for the church was first documented in October of 1924 in a letter to Rev. Samuel S. Marquis who became its first Rector. The architect, Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue was first consulted but, following his unexpected death, his colleagues formed an architecture firm and continued with the project. The construction of the church was completed between 1925 and 1928 and the church was dedicated on September 29, 1928.
1.5 Linear Feet ( 1 OS)
Language of Materials
Oscar H. Murray, along with colleagues in the architectural firm Mayers, Murray, and Philip, is the architect of record for Christ Church Cranbrook, completed in 1928. This collection of photographic prints document Christ Church Cranbrook in its earliest years. The photographs capture artwork and the fabric of the church before its construction was complete.
The collection is arranged by format and then alphabetically by creator name, where it is known.
Gift of Jonathan Murray, son of Oscar H. Murray in July 1986.
Copies of some of the Bertram Goodhue Associates drawings are in the Frederick Law Olmsted Archives Collections and can be viewed online.
Processed by Laura MacNewman, July 2023.
- Guide to the Oscar H. Murray Collection
- Laura MacNewman
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 2023-08-18: Several Notes added or edited, and Inventory revised by Deborah Rice.
Part of the Cranbrook Archives, Cranbrook Center for Collections and Research Repository