Skip to main content

Cranbrook School Kent, England Collection

 Collection
Identifier: 1997-16

Collection Scope

This small artificial collection, consists of 3 boxes primarily containing publications with a small amount of correspondence. Box 1 contains correspondence, newspaper clippings, historical information, and begins the publication section. Boxes 2 and 3 contain publications.

Dates

  • 1931 - 1982

Creator

Access

Access to the collection is unrestricted.

Use

Permission to use collection materials must be requested in writing.

History

Cranbrook is located about 40 miles from London and for over 450 years the school has occupied the same site and has grown from the original building to its present 70 acres in the town of Cranbrook.

Cranbrook School was founded ca. 1520 under the will of John Blubery who bequeathed his own mansion to William Lynch with the request that the property be used to found a school for the poorer children of the town. Upon William Lynch’s death Simon Lynch (his son), after a long drawn out legal battle, won the property over the Parish and continued to run the school. In May of 1574 Queen Elizabeth visited Cranbrook and granted charter of the school to the Parish on May 8th, 1574.

Between 1574 and 1860 the school continued to grow and expand. From 1860 to 1888 the school grew from approximately 60 boys to 170. In 1888 the Great Depression hit and the numbers dropped back down to 60 boys. In 1929 C. Russell Scott was appointed as headmaster and began to turn the school around. By 1960, the school was servicing nearly 250 pupils and had nearly doubled the number the buildings.

In July 1939 a party of l Master and 11 boys from Cranbrook School in Michigan visited Cranbrook School in Kent. G.G. Booth whose father emigrated from Cranbrook, Kent founded Cranbrook School, U.S.A. in 1927.

Today, Cranbrook School is a voluntary aided non-denominational boarding and day co-educational grammar school catering for pupils in the top 25% of the ability range aged from 13 to 18.

Cranbrook School is well known in the South East, with its population of some 720 pupils aged between 13 and 18 (Years 9 to 13 in the National Curriculum). It is fully co-educational (400 boys, 320 girls) and has 240 boarding places for boys and girls.

Extent

1.3 Linear Feet (3 MS)

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

The father of George G. Booth, founder of Cranbrook (Bloomfield Hills, MI) emigrated from Cranbrook, Kent. Cranbrook School, Kent is located about 40 miles from London and for over 450 years the school has occupied the same site and has grown from the original building to its present 70 acres in the town of Cranbrook. This small artificial collection, contains information about Cranbrook School's namesake in England, primarily containing publications with a small amount of correspondence.

Arrangement

The collection is arranged in alphabetical order.

Acquisition

Not known.

Related Materials

Cranbrook School Records (1979-06)

Cranbrook School Sydney, Australia Collection (1997-17)

Transfers

The photographs were removed and filed in the Archives Photograph Collection.

Processing History

Mignon Jasmer, 1997; Charlene Schreiner, 2006.
Title
Guide to the Cranbrook School Kent, England Collection
Status
Completed
Author
Mignon Jasmer
Date
1997
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Edition statement
Resource record created by Laura MacNewman.

Revision Statements

  • 2006: Revised by Charlene Schreiner

Repository Details

Part of the Cranbrook Archives, Cranbrook Center for Collections and Research Repository

Contact:
39221 Woodward Ave.
P.O. Box 801
Bloomfield Hills MI 48303 US