Skip to main content Skip to search results

Showing Collections: 11 - 20 of 28

Cranbrook Foundation Office Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1981-05
Abstract The Cranbrook Foundation was established on November 28, 1927, by George Gough Booth and Ellen Scripps Booth. It was a trust and administrative entity to endow and support the six institutions that George and Ellen had founded: Brookside School Cranbrook, Christ Church Cranbrook, Cranbrook Academy of Art, Cranbrook Institute of Science, Cranbrook School, and Kingswood School Cranbrook. It's initial mission was, "to add to and strengthen the educational and cultural facilities within the State...
Dates: 1926 - 1973

Cranbrook Founders’ Day Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1996-09
Abstract The Founders' Award recognizes those who have made a special contribution to Cranbrook. The first Founders’ Day Celebration was held at Cranbrook School on October 26, 1928. After dinner at the school, George Gough Booth made an address to the student body, formally conveying the school buildings to them, and speaking of citizenship. He also made a presentation to the school of Rembrandt Peale’s portrait of George Washington, to be hung in the lobby of the Commons. The formal address,...
Dates: 1928 - 1993

Cranbrook House and Gardens Auxiliary Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1995-11
Abstract Henry Scripps Booth, youngest son of the Cranbrook founders, developed the idea of organizing an auxiliary for the purpose of helping to preserve and improve the gardens surrounding Cranbrook House. The inaugural meeting of the Cranbrook Gardens Auxiliary took place the 4th of March, 1971, at Cranbrook House. The success of this organization led to the creation of the Cranbrook House Auxiliary in 1975 to organize the use of Cranbrook House for receptions and provide information about the house...
Dates: 1950 - 2002

Cranbrook Institute of Science Director’s Office Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1990-31
Abstract Cranbrook Institute of Science is a nationally recognized natural history and science museum primarily serving Michigan and the Great Lakes region. It seeks to interest and educate people of all ages about nature, science and humankind through its exhibits, education, collection, research, and public programs. The Institute is a division of Cranbrook Educational Community, beginning, as do all Cranbrook institutions, with the vision and generosity of George Gough Booth. Originally conceived...
Dates: 1920 - 1990

Cranbrook Music Guild Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1995-85
Abstract Dr. Maurice Garabrant, Christ Church Cranbrook Organist and Choir Master, and Mrs. Betty Brewster formed a committee of music lovers in order to organize a concert at the Cranbrook Greek Theater. Henry S. Booth, son of Cranbrook founders George and Ellen Booth, was one of the original eleven members of this committee, which produced the first Cranbrook Festival concert performance on June 10, 1951. The concert was such a success that the committee formalized in 1952 as the Cranbrook Music...
Dates: 1950 - 2007; Majority of material found within 1960 - 1990

Cranbrook Press and Photo Department Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1990-42
Abstract In 1900, George Gough Booth established the Cranbrook Press at the Detroit Evening News building. The enterprise lasted only two years, but it was later revived at Cranbrook in 1930. The Print Shop was headed by Edward Alonzo Miller, a well-known typographer, and Jean Eschmann, a bookbinder of high repute, and already employed by Booth, provided fine leather bindings. The first volume produced by Miller and Eschmann was a service book for the Festival of Gifts at Cranbrook Church. The...
Dates: 1929 - 1975

Cranbrook Lower School Brookside Records

 Collection
Identifier: 2002-04
Abstract After various attempts at a school for young children in the area, the Bloomfield Hills School opened in 1922, occupying the Meeting House owned and built by George G. Booth at Lone Pine and Cranbrook Roads. With subsequent building additions by Booth and his son Henry Scripps Booth, the student body likewise grew from eight students in its first year to 101 by 1929. A private co-ed school for students in grades K-6, the school officially became Brookside School Cranbrook in 1930. Undergoing...
Dates: 1922 - 2019; Majority of material found within 1923 - 1999

Kingswood School Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1980-01
Abstract Kingswood School Cranbrook was a day and boarding school for girls beginning with the seventh grade and continuing through the twelfth grade. Kingswood School was established through a deed of Trust executed on July 24, 1930, between the Cranbrook Foundation and a Board of Trustees consisting of William T. Barbour, Ralph Stone, Luman W. Goodenough, Alvan Macauley, Clarence H. Booth, James Inglis, and Sidney D. Waldon. The Board selected Gladys Turnbach, of Miss Hall’s School in Pittsfield,...
Dates: 1930 - 1985

Festa Vettraino Records

 Collection
Identifier: 2005-10
Abstract The history of the Vettraino family in America links inextricably to Cranbrook Educational Community. Michael Vettraino began working for the Booth family on their farmland in Bloomfield Hills and helped shape Cranbrook's landscape under the direction of founder, George Gough Booth. Michael and his wife Michela, raised six children on the grounds of Cranbrook. Michael’s sons, Dominick and John, both worked at Cranbrook for over 50 years, raising their own families on the grounds. John...
Dates: 2004 - 2005

Institute for Advanced Pastoral Studies Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1979-05
Abstract The Institute of Advanced Pastoral Studies was established in 1957 for continuing theological education for clergy and lay leaders to share ideas on integrating historic Christian insights with twentieth century findings from human sciences and open dialogue with other traditions. It hosted seminars and conferences bringing together leaders from Protestant, Catholic, and Jewish traditions. The founder, Dr. Reuel L. Howe, remained director until 1973 and was succeeded by Dr. John E. Biersdorf....
Dates: 1957 - 1981

Filtered By

  • Names: Booth, Henry Scripps X

Filter Results

Additional filters:

Subject
Education 7
Photographs 7
Architecture 6
Performing arts 6
Architecture, Domestic 5
∨ more
Art --Study and teaching 5
Bloomfield Hills (Mich.) 5
Gardens 5
Science museums 5
Scrapbooks 5
Composition (Music) 4
Landscapes 4
Religion 4
Sculpture 4
Church architecture 3
Gardening 3
Gardening --Societies, etc. 3
Oral history 3
Public Relations 3
Art auctions 2
Arts and crafts movement 2
Carillons 2
Ceramics 2
Community theater 2
Cranbrook (Kent, England) 2
Design 2
Fund raising 2
Glass painting and staining 2
Historic preservation 2
Minerals 2
Mural painting and decoration --20th century 2
Museums 2
Textile fabrics 2
Textiles 2
Weaving 2
Acquisition of property 1
Anthropology 1
Arboretums 1
Archaeology 1
Arts 1
Ashtrays 1
Astronomy 1
Automotive drafting 1
Bookbinding 1
Botany 1
Building and grounds 1
Buildings Repair and reconstruction 1
Candelabra 1
Candlesticks 1
Carillonneurs 1
Chair design 1
Church dedication 1
Clergy 1
Detroit (Mich.) 1
Earth Science 1
Embassy buildings 1
Europe 1
Exhibitions 1
Expenditures 1
Flags 1
Flatware 1
Foucault’s pendulum 1
Fountains 1
France 1
Furniture design 1
Gardens, Japanese 1
Geology 1
Graphic arts 1
Gymnasiums 1
Historic buildings 1
Historic house museums 1
Housing 1
Industrial design 1
Interior decoration 1
Kirtland’s warbler 1
Mastodons 1
Metalwork 1
Mexico 1
Michigan 1
Music 1
Native Americans 1
Newspapers 1
Newspapers --Ownership 1
Nursing 1
Painting 1
Paleontology 1
Pastels (Visual works) 1
Pharmacognosy 1
Piano 1
Planetariums 1
Poetry--Authorship 1
Pottery 1
Prohibition 1
Rare books 1
Religious literature--Authorship 1
Schools 1
Theology 1
Wild flowers 1
Women--Suffrage 1
World War, 1914-1918 1
∧ less