Skip to main content Skip to search results

Showing Collections: 1 - 5 of 5

Cranbrook Foundation Office Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1981-05
Abstract The Cranbrook Foundation was established on November 28, 1927, by George Gough Booth and Ellen Scripps Booth. It was a trust and administrative entity to endow and support the six institutions that George and Ellen had founded: Brookside School Cranbrook, Christ Church Cranbrook, Cranbrook Academy of Art, Cranbrook Institute of Science, Cranbrook School, and Kingswood School Cranbrook. It's initial mission was, "to add to and strengthen the educational and cultural facilities within the State...
Dates: 1926 - 1973

Cranbrook Photograph Collection

 Collection
Identifier: 2020-03
Abstract Cranbrook history dates back to 1904 when George and Ellen Booth purchased land in Bloomfield Hills, MI for their home. The next five decades saw the majority of this land transformed into an educational, artistic, and scientific community. In the early 1970s, a major reorganzition created the Cranbrook Educational Community. More than a century later, in 2021, this Community comprises five program areas: Cranbrook Schools, Cranbrook Art Academy, Cranbrook Art Museum, Cranbrook Institute of...
Dates: circa 1830-; Majority of material found within 1931 - 1970

Cranbrook Lower School Brookside Records

 Collection
Identifier: 2002-04
Abstract After various attempts at a school for young children in the area, the Bloomfield Hills School opened in 1922, occupying the Meeting House owned and built by George G. Booth at Lone Pine and Cranbrook Roads. With subsequent building additions by Booth and his son Henry Scripps Booth, the student body likewise grew from eight students in its first year to 101 by 1929. A private co-ed school for students in grades K-6, the school officially became Brookside School Cranbrook in 1930. Undergoing...
Dates: 1922 - 2019; Majority of material found within 1923 - 1999

The Eccentric Newspaper Records

 Collection
Identifier: 2009-02
Abstract George H. Mitchell and Almeron Whitehead first published The Birmingham Eccentric on 2 May 1878 in Birmingham, Michigan. The four-page issue was a combination of short personal announcements and advertisements. Although both partners wrote for their paper, Whitehead took on the bulk of the writing duties. Under their leadership the paper thrived. In 1912, the two dissolved their partnership as friends leaving Mitchell as the sole publisher. In July 1919, Fred E. Van Black, a linotype operator...
Dates: 1930 - 2000

Lee A. White Papers

 Collection
Identifier: 1979-02
Abstract Lee A White was a journalist, working for the Detroit News from 1911 until his retirement in 1952, except between 1914-1917, when he was an associate professor and chairman of the journalism department at the University of Washington. He developed a close relationship with George G. Booth, serving as his Editorial Secretary and, from 1936, he also served as Chief Librarian for the newspaper, and became its first Director of Public Relations. He served as Director of Cranbrook School for 20...
Dates: 1926 - 1958

Filtered By

  • Names: Brookside School X
  • Subject: Art X

Filter Results