Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
Abstract In 1923, George Gough Booth wrote to the Rev. Samuel Simpson Marquis with his ideas for building an Episcopal church and school on the Cranbrook estate to serve the needs of the growing Bloomfield Hills community. Booth would fund the construction of the church and provide an endowment for its maintenance. After obtaining the agreement of Bishop Herman Page, hiring and architect and a contractor, a groundbreaking ceremony took place on July 5, 1925. Christ Church Cranbrook was consecrated on...
Dates: 1923 - 2002
Abstract The Institute of Advanced Pastoral Studies was established in 1957 for continuing theological education for clergy and lay leaders to share ideas on integrating historic Christian insights with twentieth century findings from human sciences and open dialogue with other traditions. It hosted seminars and conferences bringing together leaders from Protestant, Catholic, and Jewish traditions. The founder, Dr. Reuel L. Howe, remained director until 1973 and was succeeded by Dr. John E. Biersdorf....
Dates: 1957 - 1981
Abstract This collection documents the life and work of Rev. Dr. Samuel Simpson Marquis (1866-1948). Ordained as an Episcopalian priest, he served parishes in Massachusetts before being called to St. Joseph's Church in Detroit, Michigan. In 1906, he became Dean of St. Paul's Cathedral where he oversaw construction of the new cathedral building designed by Ralph Adams Cram. Between 1915-1920, he worked in the Welfare Department of Ford Motor Company before returning to St. Joseph's in 1921. He moved to...
Dates: 1817 - 1985; Majority of material found within 1889 - 1940