Showing Collections: 1 - 6 of 6
Abstract Henry Scripps Booth and Carolyn Farr Booth, lovers of art, music, and travel, were lifelong advocates of Cranbrook, dedicated to its development, both physically and organizationally. Henry (1897-1988) was the fourth child of the founders of Cranbrook, George Gough Booth and Ellen Scripps Booth. Carolyn (1902-1984) was the daughter of Merton E. Farr, president of the American Shipbuilding Company. While an architecture student at the University of Michigan, Henry helped his father design the...
Dates: 1897 - 1988; Majority of material found within 1909 - 1988
Abstract James Scripps Booth, an automobile designer, artist, and philosopher was the eldest son of George Gough Booth and Ellen Scripps Booth born May 31, 1888, in the Trumbull Avenue home of his grandfather James Edmund Scripps, founder and publisher of the Detroit Evening News. He built a prototype of the Bi-Autogo and in 1913 Booth, uncle William J. Scripps and John Batterman formed the Scripps-Booth Cyclecar Company, manufacturers of small, belt-driven vehicles, the JB Rocket and the Packet....
Dates: 1907 - 1980
Abstract Kate Agnes Thompson married Frank Latham Bromley on May 2, 1900, in Detroit. They moved to Bloomfield Hills and, as neighbors, became ensconced in the Cranbrook community. Kate’s personal interests centered in the arts, and she became very good friends with Carl and Olga Milles, as well as with other Cranbrook personalities. The collection consists of photocopies of excerpts from the diaries of Kate Thompson Bromley. The diary entries document Bromley’s association with Cranbrook personalities,...
Dates: 1916 - 1955
Abstract In 1923, George Gough Booth wrote to the Rev. Samuel Simpson Marquis with his ideas for building an Episcopal church and school on the Cranbrook estate to serve the needs of the growing Bloomfield Hills community. Booth would fund the construction of the church and provide an endowment for its maintenance. After obtaining the agreement of Bishop Herman Page, hiring and architect and a contractor, a groundbreaking ceremony took place on July 5, 1925. Christ Church Cranbrook was consecrated on...
Dates: 1923 - 2002
Abstract Cranbrook history dates back to 1904 when George and Ellen Booth purchased land in Bloomfield Hills, MI for their home. The next five decades saw the majority of this land transformed into an educational, artistic, and scientific community. In the early 1970s, a major reorganzition created the Cranbrook Educational Community. More than a century later, in 2021, this Community comprises five program areas: Cranbrook Schools, Cranbrook Art Academy, Cranbrook Art Museum, Cranbrook Institute of...
Dates: circa 1830-; Majority of material found within 1931 - 1970
Abstract After various attempts at a school for young children in the area, the Bloomfield Hills School opened in 1922, occupying the Meeting House owned and built by George G. Booth at Lone Pine and Cranbrook Roads. With subsequent building additions by Booth and his son Henry Scripps Booth, the student body likewise grew from eight students in its first year to 101 by 1929. A private co-ed school for students in grades K-6, the school officially became Brookside School Cranbrook in 1930. Undergoing...
Dates: 1922 - 2019; Majority of material found within 1923 - 1999