Showing Collections: 1 - 5 of 5
Abstract The collection documents the life and work of George Gough Booth, a renowned advocate of the arts, and a great philanthropist whose crowning achievement was the establishment of Cranbrook Educational Community. He was also one of the nation's leading newspapermen in the first half of this century. It includes biographical materials including legal documents, travel itineraries, talks and writings, and the financial and business records of the Cranbrook Press. It documents his working life and...
Dates: 1864 - 1949
Abstract Kate Agnes Thompson married Frank Latham Bromley on May 2, 1900, in Detroit. They moved to Bloomfield Hills and, as neighbors, became ensconced in the Cranbrook community. Kate’s personal interests centered in the arts, and she became very good friends with Carl and Olga Milles, as well as with other Cranbrook personalities. The collection consists of photocopies of excerpts from the diaries of Kate Thompson Bromley. The diary entries document Bromley’s association with Cranbrook personalities,...
Dates: 1916 - 1955
Abstract In 1923, George Gough Booth wrote to the Rev. Samuel Simpson Marquis with his ideas for building an Episcopal church and school on the Cranbrook estate to serve the needs of the growing Bloomfield Hills community. Booth would fund the construction of the church and provide an endowment for its maintenance. After obtaining the agreement of Bishop Herman Page, hiring and architect and a contractor, a groundbreaking ceremony took place on July 5, 1925. Christ Church Cranbrook was consecrated on...
Dates: 1923 - 2002
Abstract Cranbrook history dates back to 1904 when George and Ellen Booth purchased land in Bloomfield Hills, MI for their home. The next five decades saw the majority of this land transformed into an educational, artistic, and scientific community. In the early 1970s, a major reorganzition created the Cranbrook Educational Community. More than a century later, in 2021, this Community comprises five program areas: Cranbrook Schools, Cranbrook Art Academy, Cranbrook Art Museum, Cranbrook Institute of...
Dates: circa 1830-; Majority of material found within 1931 - 1970
Abstract Kingswood School Cranbrook was a day and boarding school for girls beginning with the seventh grade and continuing through the twelfth grade. Kingswood School was established through a deed of Trust executed on July 24, 1930, between the Cranbrook Foundation and a Board of Trustees consisting of William T. Barbour, Ralph Stone, Luman W. Goodenough, Alvan Macauley, Clarence H. Booth, James Inglis, and Sidney D. Waldon. The Board selected Gladys Turnbach, of Miss Hall’s School in Pittsfield,...
Dates: 1930 - 1985