Skip to main content Skip to search results

Showing Collections: 11 - 20 of 21

Cranbrook Foundation Executive Secretary: William Alley Frayer Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1980-04
Abstract William Alley Frayer had over a thirty-year careeer as a historian, teaching at both Cornell University and University of Michigan before Cranbrook Board of Trustees hired him as Executive Secretary of the Foundation in 1935. Frayer worked closely with chairman George Booth, daily discussing matters of general Cranbrook concern. Upon Frayer's retirement in 1938, Booth and Frayer decided to close the office of Executive Secretary. Frayer returned to Ann Arbor and died June 29, 1946, at the...
Dates: 1935 - 1938

Cranbrook Foundation Office Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1981-05
Abstract The Cranbrook Foundation was established on November 28, 1927, by George Gough Booth and Ellen Scripps Booth. It was a trust and administrative entity to endow and support the six institutions that George and Ellen had founded: Brookside School Cranbrook, Christ Church Cranbrook, Cranbrook Academy of Art, Cranbrook Institute of Science, Cranbrook School, and Kingswood School Cranbrook. It's initial mission was, "to add to and strengthen the educational and cultural facilities within the State...
Dates: 1926 - 1973

Cranbrook Institute of Science Director’s Office Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1990-31
Abstract Cranbrook Institute of Science is a nationally recognized natural history and science museum primarily serving Michigan and the Great Lakes region. It seeks to interest and educate people of all ages about nature, science and humankind through its exhibits, education, collection, research, and public programs. The Institute is a division of Cranbrook Educational Community, beginning, as do all Cranbrook institutions, with the vision and generosity of George Gough Booth. Originally conceived...
Dates: 1920 - 1990

Cranbrook Photograph Collection

 Collection
Identifier: 2020-03
Abstract Cranbrook history dates back to 1904 when George and Ellen Booth purchased land in Bloomfield Hills, MI for their home. The next five decades saw the majority of this land transformed into an educational, artistic, and scientific community. In the early 1970s, a major reorganzition created the Cranbrook Educational Community. More than a century later, in 2021, this Community comprises five program areas: Cranbrook Schools, Cranbrook Art Academy, Cranbrook Art Museum, Cranbrook Institute of...
Dates: circa 1830-; Majority of material found within 1931 - 1970

Cranbrook Lower School Brookside Records

 Collection
Identifier: 2002-04
Abstract After various attempts at a school for young children in the area, the Bloomfield Hills School opened in 1922, occupying the Meeting House owned and built by George G. Booth at Lone Pine and Cranbrook Roads. With subsequent building additions by Booth and his son Henry Scripps Booth, the student body likewise grew from eight students in its first year to 101 by 1929. A private co-ed school for students in grades K-6, the school officially became Brookside School Cranbrook in 1930. Undergoing...
Dates: 1922 - 2019; Majority of material found within 1923 - 1999

Kingswood School Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1980-01
Abstract Kingswood School Cranbrook was a day and boarding school for girls beginning with the seventh grade and continuing through the twelfth grade. Kingswood School was established through a deed of Trust executed on July 24, 1930, between the Cranbrook Foundation and a Board of Trustees consisting of William T. Barbour, Ralph Stone, Luman W. Goodenough, Alvan Macauley, Clarence H. Booth, James Inglis, and Sidney D. Waldon. The Board selected Gladys Turnbach, of Miss Hall’s School in Pittsfield,...
Dates: 1930 - 1985

The Eccentric Newspaper Records

 Collection
Identifier: 2009-02
Abstract George H. Mitchell and Almeron Whitehead first published The Birmingham Eccentric on 2 May 1878 in Birmingham, Michigan. The four-page issue was a combination of short personal announcements and advertisements. Although both partners wrote for their paper, Whitehead took on the bulk of the writing duties. Under their leadership the paper thrived. In 1912, the two dissolved their partnership as friends leaving Mitchell as the sole publisher. In July 1919, Fred E. Van Black, a linotype operator...
Dates: 1930 - 2000

Richard P. Raseman Papers

 Collection
Identifier: 1979-03
Abstract The collection comprises of materials collected by Richard Perrien Raseman (1896-1976), architect, Executive Secretary, and Vice President of the Cranbrook Academy of Art from 1932-1943. During his tenure at Cranbrook he was responsible for the administration of the Academy and helped to push the establishment of the Academy as an independent and degree awarding institution. The collection includes documents associated with repair and construction projects on Cranbrook’s campus between 1934 and...
Dates: 1934 - 1956; Majority of material found within 1934 - 1942

William Oliver Stevens Papers

 Collection
Identifier: 1995-90
Abstract William Oliver Stevens was headmaster of Cranbrook School from 1927-1935. These documents consist of office records in the form of correspondence, carbon copies, and drafts from William O. Stevens, first headmaster of Cranbrook School. Additionally, there is correspondence after his tenure at Cranbrook, but concerning Cranbrook masters, other employees, and alumni is included. Some black and white photographs are appended to alumni, faculty and student documents. The bulk of the collection is...
Dates: 1927 - 1935

Richard Thomas Papers

 Collection
Identifier: 1989-14
Abstract Richard Thomas graduated from the Cranbrook Academy of Art in May 1948 with an MFA in painting, subsequently re-establishing the Metalsmithing Department at the Academy and becoming Head for thirty-six years. He also served in other administrative capacities for the Academy, including Dean of Students (1951-50), Registrar (1962-65), Administrative Assistant to the President (1965-66), and Dean of Students (1968). His chief interest was liturgical art, fabricating around 300 objects for...
Dates: 1930 - 1984; Majority of material found within 1950 - 1978

Filtered By

  • Names: Cranbrook Foundation X

Filter Results

Additional filters:

Subject
Education 8
Architecture 7
Photographs 7
Art --Study and teaching 6
Science museums 5
∨ more
Sculpture 5
Church architecture 4
Exhibitions 4
Metalwork 4
Religion 4
Architecture, Domestic 3
Art auctions 3
Arts and crafts movement 3
Bloomfield Hills (Mich.) 3
Gardens 3
Glass painting and staining 3
Mural painting and decoration --20th century 3
Museums 3
Public Relations 3
Scrapbooks 3
Textile fabrics 3
Weaving 3
Anthropology 2
Archaeology 2
Astronomy 2
Carillons 2
Ceramics 2
Composition (Music) 2
Detroit (Mich.) 2
Graphic arts 2
Minerals 2
Newspapers 2
Painting 2
Performing arts 2
Planetariums 2
Religious literature--Authorship 2
Schools 2
Sketchbooks 2
Administrative Heads 1
Aerial photography 1
Ambrotype 1
Anniversary (50th) 1
Arboretums 1
Art 1
Art objects 1
Arts 1
Arts Program 1
Athletics 1
Automotive drafting 1
Beresford Property 1
Board Members 1
Bookbinding 1
Botany 1
Building and grounds 1
Buildings Repair and reconstruction 1
Buildings and Grounds 1
Christian art and symbolism 1
Church dedication 1
Civil rights 1
Clergy 1
Commencement ceremonies 1
Committees 1
Community theater 1
Cranbrook (Kent, England) 1
Cranbrook Music Program 1
Dance 1
Design 1
Dormitories 1
Earth Science 1
Engineering 1
Europe 1
Expenditures 1
Faculty and Staff 1
Flags 1
Foucault’s pendulum 1
France 1
Gardening --Societies, etc. 1
Geology 1
Graphic design (Typography) 1
Gymnasiums 1
Historic buildings 1
Historic preservation 1
History 1
Housing 1
Industrial design 1
Kirtland’s warbler 1
Landscapes 1
Libraries 1
Mastodons 1
Michigan 1
Newspapers --Ownership 1
Oral history 1
Paleontology 1
Pastels (Visual works) 1
Pharmacognosy 1
Poetry--Authorship 1
Prohibition 1
Rare books 1
Recreation 1
Roads 1
∧ less