Showing Collections: 1 - 7 of 7
Abstract James Carmel, a National Academy of Design graduate, worked as the Assistant Preparator at Cranbrook Institute of Science from 1939-early 1970s. He shared a suite at the Academy of Art with Harry Bertoia, and became part of the social life of Cranbrook with Carl Milles, Charles and Catherine Eames, Maija Grotell, Marshall Fredericks, Marianne Strengell, Clifford West and Zoltan Sepeshy. The collection reflects mainly his work for the Institute of Science, and to a lesser extent his engagement...
Dates: 1973 - 1998
Cranbrook Educational Community Assistant to the President for Special Projects: Michael Boisvert and David Hart Records
Abstract The collection comprises of materials created or maintained by Michael Boisvert and David Hart who both served as assistant to the President of Special Projects at Cranbrook Educational Community (CEC). Boisvert served in this position from 1984-1985, and David Hart served from 1986-1993. The collection focuses on the internal strategic planning and external consultant master planning for institutional and campus development of Cranbrook Educational Community and its divisions. The files...
Dates: 1918 - 1996; Majority of material found within 1983 - 1993
Abstract The Cranbrook Foundation was established on November 28, 1927, by George Gough Booth and Ellen Scripps Booth. It was a trust and administrative entity to endow and support the six institutions that George and Ellen had founded: Brookside School Cranbrook, Christ Church Cranbrook, Cranbrook Academy of Art, Cranbrook Institute of Science, Cranbrook School, and Kingswood School Cranbrook. It's initial mission was, "to add to and strengthen the educational and cultural facilities within the State...
Dates: 1926 - 1973
Abstract Cranbrook history dates back to 1904 when George and Ellen Booth purchased land in Bloomfield Hills, MI for their home. The next five decades saw the majority of this land transformed into an educational, artistic, and scientific community. In the early 1970s, a major reorganzition created the Cranbrook Educational Community. More than a century later, in 2021, this Community comprises five program areas: Cranbrook Schools, Cranbrook Art Academy, Cranbrook Art Museum, Cranbrook Institute of...
Dates: circa 1830-; Majority of material found within 1931 - 1970
Abstract Robert Torrens Hatt (1902-1989), a graduate of University of Michigan and Columbia Univerisity, was an academic and zoologist with a long career in museum work culminating with his appointment as Director of the Cranbrook Institute of Science (CIS), a position he held until retirement on June 30, 1967. Under his direction, CIS went through several building expansions and research conducted there drew the attention of the scientific community worldwide. Dr. Hatt spent a significant amount of...
Dates: 1919 - 1984
Abstract The Horizon’s Upward Bound (HUB) program was initially established in 1965 by Cranbrook Schools as a two-phased (Summer Phase and Winter Phase) residential educational program designed to assist low-income students from the Detroit area. This grant funded program, initially run by Director Ben Snyder, offered academic and personal encouragement with the purpose of exposing children to higher education and professional career opportunities. The program was supported by grants from the Ford...
Dates: 1965 - 2000
Abstract Lee A White was a journalist, working for the Detroit News from 1911 until his retirement in 1952, except between 1914-1917, when he was an associate professor and chairman of the journalism department at the University of Washington. He developed a close relationship with George G. Booth, serving as his Editorial Secretary and, from 1936, he also served as Chief Librarian for the newspaper, and became its first Director of Public Relations. He served as Director of Cranbrook School for 20...
Dates: 1926 - 1958