Showing Collections: 1 - 6 of 6
Abstract Henry Scripps Booth and Carolyn Farr Booth, lovers of art, music, and travel, were lifelong advocates of Cranbrook, dedicated to its development, both physically and organizationally. Henry (1897-1988) was the fourth child of the founders of Cranbrook, George Gough Booth and Ellen Scripps Booth. Carolyn (1902-1984) was the daughter of Merton E. Farr, president of the American Shipbuilding Company. While an architecture student at the University of Michigan, Henry helped his father design the...
Dates: 1897 - 1988; Majority of material found within 1909 - 1988
Abstract George Herbst served as Vice President of Finance and Administration of Cranbrook Educational Community between 1986 and 1996. Herbst’s administrative duties included managing capital projects, finances, legal actions, and human relations. During his term, Herbst also oversaw numerous projects including restoration or construction initiatives for the Greek Theatre, Kingswood School, Cranbrook House, the Henry Booth Studio, and the DeSalle Auditorium. He was also involved in the acquisition of...
Dates: 1966 - 1995; Majority of material found within 1984 - 1992
Abstract In 1900, George Gough Booth established the Cranbrook Press at the Detroit Evening News building. The enterprise lasted only two years, but it was later revived at Cranbrook in 1930. The Print Shop was headed by Edward Alonzo Miller, a well-known typographer, and Jean Eschmann, a bookbinder of high repute, and already employed by Booth, provided fine leather bindings. The first volume produced by Miller and Eschmann was a service book for the Festival of Gifts at Cranbrook Church. The...
Dates: 1929 - 1975
Abstract After various attempts at a school for young children in the area, the Bloomfield Hills School opened in 1922, occupying the Meeting House owned and built by George G. Booth at Lone Pine and Cranbrook Roads. With subsequent building additions by Booth and his son Henry Scripps Booth, the student body likewise grew from eight students in its first year to 101 by 1929. A private co-ed school for students in grades K-6, the school officially became Brookside School Cranbrook in 1930. Undergoing...
Dates: 1922 - 2019; Majority of material found within 1923 - 1999
Abstract St. Dunstan’s “Theatre” Guild, later "St. Dunstan’s Guild of Cranbrook" was established in 1932, with a small people interested in forming an amateur theatrical society held, including Henry S. Booth, Ellenna Cochran (Mrs. Maurice D.), Jessie Winter, Harry D. Hoey and Burt A. McDonald. The group was named after St. Dunstan, a ninth century English churchman who was Archbishop of Canterbury and has always been regarded as a patron saint of the arts. The group's first plays were performed at...
Dates: 1932 - 1990
Abstract On December 22, 1919 Henry Scripps Booth (along with his parents and friends) attended a comedy at the Shubert-Detroit Opera House by William Shakespeare called Twelfth Night. In 1921, Booth attended a Twelfth Night Revels at the Detroit Society of Arts and Craft. These events inspired Henry and in 1929 the first unofficial Twelfth Night costume party was held at Cranbrook in the large second floor studio of the Cranbrook Architectural Office. The Twelfth Night Gala became an annual event...
Dates: 1950 - 1989