Skip to main content Skip to search results

Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4

Cranbrook House and Gardens Auxiliary Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1995-11
Abstract Henry Scripps Booth, youngest son of the Cranbrook founders, developed the idea of organizing an auxiliary for the purpose of helping to preserve and improve the gardens surrounding Cranbrook House. The inaugural meeting of the Cranbrook Gardens Auxiliary took place the 4th of March, 1971, at Cranbrook House. The success of this organization led to the creation of the Cranbrook House Auxiliary in 1975 to organize the use of Cranbrook House for receptions and provide information about the...
Dates: 1950 - 2002

Samuel Simpson Marquis Papers

 Collection
Identifier: 1983-07
Abstract This collection documents the life and work of Rev. Dr. Samuel Simpson Marquis (1866-1948). Ordained as an Episcopalian priest, he served parishes in Massachusetts before being called to St. Joseph's Church in Detroit, Michigan. In 1906, he became Dean of St. Paul's Cathedral where he oversaw construction of the new cathedral building designed by Ralph Adams Cram. Between 1915-1920, he worked in the Welfare Department of Ford Motor Company before returning to St. Joseph's in 1921. He moved...
Dates: 1817 - 1985; Majority of material found within 1889 - 1940

Carl Milles Papers

 Collection
Identifier: 1989-13
Abstract Carl Emil Wilhelm Anderson was a prolific Swedish sculptor who worked as head of the Department of Sculpture at the Cranbrook Academy of Art from 1931-1951. He began his career in woodwork while trying to establish professional recognition as a sculptor. In 1905 Milles married painter Olga Granner and in 1908, he began to build a home at Hersud, Lidingo, near Stockholm. By 1920, he had become Professor of Modeling at the Royal Academy of Art, Stockholm, and subsequently become the...
Dates: 1917 - 2000; Majority of material found within 1929 - 1945

J. Robert F. and Pipsan Saarinen Swanson Papers

 Collection
Identifier: 1990-01
Abstract Jons Robert (Bob) Ferdinand Swanson (1900-1981) graduated from the University of Michigan School of Architecture in 1924, where he had and become friends with Henry Scripps Booth. In 1924, they established the architectural firm, Swanson and Booth. In 1927, the partnership dissolved and Bob established his own practice. Eva Lisa (Pipsan) Saarinen (1905-1979), daughter of Eliel and Loja Saarinen, studied weaving, ceramics, and fabric design at University of Helskini. She married Bob in 1926...
Dates: 1900 - 1983

Filtered By

  • Subject: Sculpture X
  • Subject: Scrapbooks X

Filter Results

Additional filters:

Subject
Photographs 2
Architecture, Domestic 1
Arts 1
Ashtrays 1
Automobile industry and trade 1
∨ more  
Names
Booth, Henry Scripps, 1897-1988 2
Cranbrook Academy of Art 2
Cranbrook Kingswood School (Bloomfield Hills, Mich.) 2
Saarinen, Eliel, 1873-1950 2
American Institute of Architects 1