Skip to main content Skip to search results

Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 16

John H. Buckberrough Notebooks

 Collection
Identifier: 1998-18
Abstract John H. Buckberrough was born in England and emigrated to the U.S. as a young man. Prior to working at Cranbrook, he worked from 1908-1918 at the Detroit Edison Co. as engineer and draftsman, and as a teller for the First State Savings Bank, from 1918-1927. His employment in the Cranbrook Architectural Office as civil engineer, was from 1927 until 1955. He died in Sept. 1955. The collection consists of Buckberrough’s 10 field notebooks filled with drawings and notations. Types of information...
Dates: 1926 - 1955

Cranbrook Architectural Office Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1989-01
Abstract Records of the Cranbrook Architectural Office which was responsible for the supervision, inspection, approval and acceptance of all construction work at Cranbrook, beginning with Eliel Saarinen's leadership through its closure in the 1980s. The materials reflect the planning and building phases of the Brookside School (BS), Christ Church Cranbrook (CCC), Cranbrook Academy of Art (CAA), Cranbrook House, Cranbrook Institute of Science (CIS), Cranbrook School (CS), Kingswood School (KS), and...
Dates: 1925 - 1987

Cranbrook Architecture Office Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1998-13
Abstract Dr. Lillian H. Bauder, former President and Chief Executive Officer for the Cranbrook Educational Community (CEC), developed the Cranbrook Architecture Office. During the years 1984-1996 the Cranbrook Architecture Office was responsible for designing and fabricating additions, repairs, or renovations to the grounds, structures, or buildings of the Cranbrook community. The collection comprises of materials relative to the Brookside school, the Log Jam Arch, the Pedestrian Bridge, Pickle Place,...
Dates: 1992 - 1998

Cranbrook Educational Community Board of Trustees Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1990-03
Abstract Created in 1927, the Cranbrook Board of Trustees was the primary authority of the Cranbrook Foundation, which was established by George Gough and Ellen Scripps Booth to endow and support the Brookside School, Cranbrook School, Kingswood School, Christ Church Cranbrook, Cranbrook Institute of Science, and Cranbrook Academy of Art. In the 1970s, the Cranbrook Educational Community (CEC) was established, and as a result, the Foundation was liquidated, and Christ Church Cranbrook became an...
Dates: 1971 - 1999

Cranbrook Educational Community President’s Office: Dr. Dan M. Martin Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1991-16
Abstract This collection contains materials surrounding the career of Dr. Dan M. Martin, second president of the Cranbrook Educational Community (CEC) from 1980 to 1984. The materials primarily comprise correspondence documenting CEC governance and activities, memoranda, speeches, and executive searches. Also included are files pertaining to Dr. Martin’s inaugural celebration.
Dates: 1980 - 1984

Cranbrook Educational Community Vice President of Finance and Administration: George Herbst Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1992-21
Abstract George Herbst served as Vice President of Finance and Administration of Cranbrook Educational Community between 1986 and 1996. Herbst’s administrative duties included managing capital projects, finances, legal actions, and human relations. During his term, Herbst also oversaw numerous projects including restoration or construction initiatives for the Greek Theatre, Kingswood School, Cranbrook House, the Henry Booth Studio, and the DeSalle Auditorium. He was also involved in the acquisition of...
Dates: 1966 - 1995; Majority of material found within 1984 - 1992

Cranbrook Foundation Office Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1981-05
Abstract The Cranbrook Foundation was established on November 28, 1927, by George Gough Booth and Ellen Scripps Booth. It was a trust and administrative entity to endow and support the six institutions that George and Ellen had founded: Brookside School Cranbrook, Christ Church Cranbrook, Cranbrook Academy of Art, Cranbrook Institute of Science, Cranbrook School, and Kingswood School Cranbrook. It's initial mission was, "to add to and strengthen the educational and cultural facilities within the State...
Dates: 1926 - 1973

Cranbrook Photograph Collection

 Collection
Identifier: 2020-03
Abstract Cranbrook history dates back to 1904 when George and Ellen Booth purchased land in Bloomfield Hills, MI for their home. The next five decades saw the majority of this land transformed into an educational, artistic, and scientific community. In the early 1970s, a major reorganzition created the Cranbrook Educational Community. More than a century later, in 2021, this Community comprises five program areas: Cranbrook Schools, Cranbrook Art Academy, Cranbrook Art Museum, Cranbrook Institute of...
Dates: circa 1830-; Majority of material found within 1931 - 1970

Cranbrook Schools Board of Trustees/Governors Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1991-10
Abstract The collection pertains to the administrative functions of the Board of Trustees for Cranbrook Schools, governing Brookside, Cranbrook, and Kingswood Schools, and which exsited for three years (1970-1973). When Cranbrook was reorganized as the Cranbrook Educational Community (CEC), with a unified Board of Trustees, the Schools' board was renamed the Cranbrook Schools Board of Governors. It began serving in an advisory capacity to the Cranbrook Schools Division. The collection comprises of...
Dates: 1966 - 1999

Cranbrook Lower School Brookside Records

 Collection
Identifier: 2002-04
Abstract After various attempts at a school for young children in the area, the Bloomfield Hills School opened in 1922, occupying the Meeting House owned and built by George G. Booth at Lone Pine and Cranbrook Roads. With subsequent building additions by Booth and his son Henry Scripps Booth, the student body likewise grew from eight students in its first year to 101 by 1929. A private co-ed school for students in grades K-6, the school officially became Brookside School Cranbrook in 1930. Undergoing...
Dates: 1922 - 2019; Majority of material found within 1923 - 1999