Skip to main content Skip to search results

Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4

Henry Scripps Booth and Carolyn Farr Booth Papers

 Collection
Identifier: 1982-05
Abstract Henry Scripps Booth and Carolyn Farr Booth, lovers of art, music, and travel, were lifelong advocates of Cranbrook, dedicated to its development, both physically and organizationally. Henry (1897-1988) was the second son of the founders of Cranbrook, George Gough Booth and Ellen Scripps Booth. Carolyn (1902-1984) was the daughter of Merton E. Farr, president of the American Shipbuilding Company. While an architecture student at the University of Michigan, Henry helped his father design the...
Dates: 1897 - 1988; Majority of material found within 1909 - 1988

Henry Wood Booth Papers

 Collection
Identifier: 1985-05
Abstract Henry Wood Booth, husband to Clara Louise Irene Gagnier, and father of Cranbrook Founder George Gough Booth, was an English emigrant. Active in temperance work, he was also an inventor, writer, and speaker at many Detroit area churches. Published in several news and temperance papers, including a religious page in the Detroit News, for a short period he even operated the Sunday Times in Toronto. As an inventor, Henry Wood Booth received a United States patents commission during the years...
Dates: 1814 - 1969; Majority of material found within 1882 - 1930

Christ Church Cranbrook Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1992-01
Abstract In 1923, George Gough Booth wrote to the Rev. Samuel Simpson Marquis with his ideas for building an Episcopal church and school on the Cranbrook estate to serve the needs of the growing Bloomfield Hills community. Booth would fund the construction of the church and provide an endowment for its maintenance. After obtaining the agreement of Bishop Herman Page, hiring and architect and a contractor, a groundbreaking ceremony took place on July 5, 1925. Christ Church Cranbrook was consecrated on...
Dates: 1923 - 2002

Samuel Simpson Marquis Papers

 Collection
Identifier: 1983-07
Abstract This collection documents the life and work of Rev. Dr. Samuel Simpson Marquis (1866-1948). Ordained as an Episcopalian priest, he served parishes in Massachusetts before being called to St. Joseph's Church in Detroit, Michigan. In 1906, he became Dean of St. Paul's Cathedral where he oversaw construction of the new cathedral building designed by Ralph Adams Cram. Between 1915-1920, he worked in the Welfare Department of Ford Motor Company before returning to St. Joseph's in 1921. He moved to...
Dates: 1817 - 1985; Majority of material found within 1889 - 1940