Bloomfield Hills (Mich.)
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 14 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract The Benedict House, formerly located at 710 N. Woodward in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, was built in 1819 and later owned by John Benedict. The property changed hands a few more times and was eventually demolished in 1978. The “Ad Hoc Committee to Save the Benedict House, Inc.” was formed by Ronald S. Swanson, Sylvia de P. Swanson, and Michael Cotter to salvage important features of the house including the woodwork, moldings, window casings, and the original hand-made red brick, before its...
Dates: 1967 - 1978
Abstract Bloomfield Hills Seminary, often referred to as the precursor to Brookside School, was formed in 1912 by a small group of Bloomfield Hills residents as a local private school to “give the young people of Bloomfield Hills, and those from nearby towns, the opportunity to study in the country; to offer a course of study that will fit them for life as well as for college.” It opened in a historic house built in 1820 by Ezra Parke and owned by George Booth, who added a five-class-room addition with...
Dates: 1912 - 1979; Majority of material found within 1912 - 1919
Abstract In 1923, George Gough Booth wrote to the Rev. Samuel Simpson Marquis with his ideas for building an Episcopal church and school on the Cranbrook estate to serve the needs of the growing Bloomfield Hills community. Booth would fund the construction of the church and provide an endowment for its maintenance. After obtaining the agreement of Bishop Herman Page, hiring and architect and a contractor, a groundbreaking ceremony took place on July 5, 1925. Christ Church Cranbrook was consecrated on...
Dates: 1923 - 2002
Abstract Doris Corbett was a history professor and well-known singer and ballad composer, teaching and performing throughout the United States and Canada. While pursuing her doctorate in history, Ms. Corbett’s research brought her to Cranbrook to study the Arts & Crafts movement, Ellen Scripps Booth, and Nellie Beveridge Gray. The bulk of the collection consists of Ms. Corbett’s research of Ellen Scripps Booth and Nellie Beveridge Gray. Of particular note are the transcripts of the oral histories...
Dates: Circa 1873-1989
Abstract The Cranbrook Academy of Arts Women’s Committee was founded on February 11, 1966 as the social arm of the Friends of the Academy (the Museum’s new membership program). The committee’s purpose was to promote and undertake activities and projects that would further the welfare of the Academy and the Museum. Throughout nearly forty years the committee hosted numerous events, programs, and fundraising projects until disbanded in 2002. The bulk of the collection reflects primarly the Women's...
Dates: 1966 - 2006
Abstract Dr. Lillian H. Bauder, former President and Chief Executive Officer for the Cranbrook Educational Community (CEC), developed the Cranbrook Architecture Office. During the years 1984-1996 the Cranbrook Architecture Office was responsible for designing and fabricating additions, repairs, or renovations to the grounds, structures, or buildings of the Cranbrook community. The collection comprises of materials relative to the Brookside school, the Log Jam Arch, the Pedestrian Bridge, Pickle Place,...
Dates: 1992 - 1998
Abstract The Cranbrook Foundation was established on November 28, 1927, by George Gough Booth and Ellen Scripps Booth. It was a trust and administrative entity to endow and support the six institutions that George and Ellen had founded: Brookside School Cranbrook, Christ Church Cranbrook, Cranbrook Academy of Art, Cranbrook Institute of Science, Cranbrook School, and Kingswood School Cranbrook. It's initial mission was, "to add to and strengthen the educational and cultural facilities within the State...
Dates: 1926 - 1973
Abstract The Founders' Award recognizes those who have made a special contribution to Cranbrook. The first Founders’ Day Celebration was held at Cranbrook School on October 26, 1928. After dinner at the school, George Gough Booth made an address to the student body, formally conveying the school buildings to them, and speaking of citizenship. He also made a presentation to the school of Rembrandt Peale’s portrait of George Washington, to be hung in the lobby of the Commons. The formal address,...
Dates: 1928 - 1993
Abstract After various attempts at a school for young children in the area, the Bloomfield Hills School opened in 1922, occupying the Meeting House owned and built by George G. Booth at Lone Pine and Cranbrook Roads. With subsequent building additions by Booth and his son Henry Scripps Booth, the student body likewise grew from eight students in its first year to 101 by 1929. A private co-ed school for students in grades K-6, the school officially became Brookside School Cranbrook in 1930. Undergoing...
Dates: 1922 - 2019; Majority of material found within 1923 - 1999
Abstract F. Shirley Prouty is the great great-niece of Johannes Kirchmayer. She spent many years researching his life, family history, and artworks. Her research is published in the book Johannes Kirchmayer, 1860-1930: master carver from Germany's passion play village to America's finest sanctuaries. This collection holds the research files for this publication. Johannes Kirchmayer was born in Oberammergau, Bavaria, in 1860 and emigrated to the United States in 1880. He work is predominantly...
Dates: 1873 - 2015; Majority of material found within 1994 - 2015