Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 21 Collections and/or Records:
Newell Hillis Arnold Papers
Abstract Newell Hillis Arnold was an architect and sculptor renowned for his work in religious and symbolic subject matter. He contributed sculptures to many churches and civic buildings in the Midwest, exhibited widely throughout the United States, and participated in national competitions. Deaf from infancy, Arnold developed his artistic abilities from an early age. After receiving his bachelor’s degree in architecture from the University of Minnesota and attending the Minneapolis School of Art,...
Dates: 1935 - 1976
George Gough Booth Papers
Abstract The collection documents the life and work of George Gough Booth, a renowned advocate of the arts, and a great philanthropist whose crowning achievement was the establishment of Cranbrook Educational Community. He was also one of the nation's leading newspapermen in the first half of this century. It includes biographical materials including legal documents, travel itineraries, talks and writings, and the financial and business records of the Cranbrook Press. It documents his working life...
Dates: 1864 - 1949
Kate Thompson Bromley Papers
Abstract Kate Agnes Thompson married Frank Latham Bromley on May 2, 1900, in Detroit. They moved to Bloomfield Hills and, as neighbors, became ensconced in the Cranbrook community. Kate’s personal interests centered in the arts, and she became very good friends with Carl and Olga Milles, as well as with other Cranbrook personalities. The collection consists of photocopies of excerpts from the diaries of Kate Thompson Bromley. The diary entries document Bromley’s association with Cranbrook...
Dates: 1916 - 1955
William J. and Jane Comfort Brown Papers
Abstract William Joseph Brown attended Cranbrook Academy of Art in the summer of 1946 under the G.I. Bill. He received his B.F.A. in May 1949; and his M.F.A. the following year. His primary focus was sculpture and metalsmithing and he studied under Jon Johnson, William McVey, Bernard “Tex” Schiewitz, Ted Luderowski and Richard Thomas. After leaving Cranbrook in 1950, he worked as the Assistant Director of the Flint Institute of Arts, was Design Instructor at the University of Delaware (1951-1956) and...
Dates: 1979 - 1995
Christ Church Cranbrook Records
Abstract In 1923, George Gough Booth wrote to the Rev. Samuel Simpson Marquis with his ideas for building an Episcopal church and school on the Cranbrook estate to serve the needs of the growing Bloomfield Hills community. Booth would fund the construction of the church and provide an endowment for its maintenance. After obtaining the agreement of Bishop Herman Page, hiring and architect and a contractor, a groundbreaking ceremony took place on July 5, 1925. Christ Church Cranbrook was consecrated on...
Dates: 1923 - 2002
Cranbrook House and Gardens Auxiliary Records
Abstract Henry Scripps Booth, youngest son of the Cranbrook founders, developed the idea of organizing an auxiliary for the purpose of helping to preserve and improve the gardens surrounding Cranbrook House. The inaugural meeting of the Cranbrook Gardens Auxiliary took place the 4th of March, 1971, at Cranbrook House. The success of this organization led to the creation of the Cranbrook House Auxiliary in 1975 to organize the use of Cranbrook House for receptions and provide information about the...
Dates: 1950 - 2002
Cranbrook Photograph Collection
Abstract Cranbrook history dates back to 1904 when George and Ellen Booth purchased land in Bloomfield Hills, MI for their home. The next five decades saw the majority of this land transformed into an educational, artistic, and scientific community. In the early 1970s, a major reorganzition created the Cranbrook Educational Community. More than a century later, in 2021, this Community comprises five program areas: Cranbrook Schools, Cranbrook Art Academy, Cranbrook Art Museum, Cranbrook Institute of...
Dates: circa 1830-; Majority of material found within 1931 - 1970
Cranbrook School Records
Abstract Cranbrook School was established by a Trust Indenture on 15 January 1926 to, “provide for the moral and religious education of the youth committed to its care,” under the supervision of three governing boards: the Board of Directors, the Advisory Board, and the Board of Trustees. Originally conceived as a Church school of Christ Church Cranbrook by September of 1924, George Booth had decided that the school should have a separate site to allow for expansion. When it opened on September 19,...
Dates: 1927 - 1985
Kingswood School Records
Abstract Kingswood School Cranbrook was a day and boarding school for girls beginning with the seventh grade and continuing through the twelfth grade. Kingswood School was established through a deed of Trust executed on July 24, 1930, between the Cranbrook Foundation and a Board of Trustees consisting of William T. Barbour, Ralph Stone, Luman W. Goodenough, Alvan Macauley, Clarence H. Booth, James Inglis, and Sidney D. Waldon. The Board selected Gladys Turnbach, of Miss Hall’s School in Pittsfield,...
Dates: 1930 - 1985
F. Shirley Prouty Research Collection on Johannes Kirchmayer
Abstract F. Shirley Prouty is the great great-niece of Johannes Kirchmayer. She spent many years researching his life, family history, and artworks. Her research is published in the book Johannes Kirchmayer, 1860-1930: master carver from Germany's passion play village to America's finest sanctuaries. This collection holds the research files for this publication. Johannes Kirchmayer was born in Oberammergau, Bavaria, in 1860 and emigrated to the United States in 1880. He work is predominantly...
Dates: 1873 - 2015; Majority of material found within 1994 - 2015