Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 8 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract The collection documents the life and work of George Gough Booth, a renowned advocate of the arts, and a great philanthropist whose crowning achievement was the establishment of Cranbrook Educational Community. He was also one of the nation's leading newspapermen in the first half of this century. It includes biographical materials including legal documents, travel itineraries, talks and writings, and the financial and business records of the Cranbrook Press. It documents his working life...
Dates: 1864 - 1949
Abstract Kate Agnes Thompson married Frank Latham Bromley on May 2, 1900, in Detroit. They moved to Bloomfield Hills and, as neighbors, became ensconced in the Cranbrook community. Kate’s personal interests centered in the arts, and she became very good friends with Carl and Olga Milles, as well as with other Cranbrook personalities. The collection consists of photocopies of excerpts from the diaries of Kate Thompson Bromley. The diary entries document Bromley’s association with Cranbrook...
Dates: 1916 - 1955
Abstract Cranbrook School was established by a Trust Indenture on 15 January 1926 to, “provide for the moral and religious education of the youth committed to its care,” under the supervision of three governing boards: the Board of Directors, the Advisory Board, and the Board of Trustees. Originally conceived as a Church school of Christ Church Cranbrook by September of 1924, George Booth had decided that the school should have a separate site to allow for expansion. When it opened on September 19,...
Dates: 1927 - 1985
Abstract Kingswood School Cranbrook was a day and boarding school for girls beginning with the seventh grade and continuing through the twelfth grade. Kingswood School was established through a deed of Trust executed on July 24, 1930, between the Cranbrook Foundation and a Board of Trustees consisting of William T. Barbour, Ralph Stone, Luman W. Goodenough, Alvan Macauley, Clarence H. Booth, James Inglis, and Sidney D. Waldon. The Board selected Gladys Turnbach, of Miss Hall’s School in Pittsfield,...
Dates: 1930 - 1985
Abstract William Gehron was a lifelong friend of Carl Milles from 1929 when he published an article on him in the journal Architecture. Gehron was instrumental in securing the 1938 commission for Milles of the bronze doors for the Finance Building at Capitol Park, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, a building designed by Gehron. The William Gehron Papers consist primarily of correspondence between Gehron and Carl Milles from 1929-1949. The bulk of the correspondence relates to the Harrisburg projects and...
Dates: 1917 - 2000
File — Box 1, Folder: 3
Collection Scope From the Collection: The William Gehron Papers consist primarily of correspondence between Gehron and Carl Milles from 1929-1949. The bulk of the correspondence relates to the Harrisburg projects and includes letters among Pennsylvania state officials, Gehron and Milles. Milles provides the artist’s view while Gehron’s letters are more practical – providing insight into the construction and mechanical processes of building a fountain. Milles’ correspondence also reveals the thought processes behind his work, his...
Abstract Carl Emil Wilhelm Anderson was a prolific Swedish sculptor who worked as head of the Department of Sculpture at the Cranbrook Academy of Art from 1931-1951. He began his career in woodwork while trying to establish professional recognition as a sculptor. In 1905 Milles married painter Olga Granner and in 1908, he began to build a home at Hersud, Lidingo, near Stockholm. By 1920, he had become Professor of Modeling at the Royal Academy of Art, Stockholm, and subsequently become the...
Dates: 1917 - 2000; Majority of material found within 1929 - 1945
Abstract Jons Robert (Bob) Ferdinand Swanson (1900-1981) graduated from the University of Michigan School of Architecture in 1924, where he had and become friends with Henry Scripps Booth. In 1924, they established the architectural firm, Swanson and Booth. In 1927, the partnership dissolved and Bob established his own practice. Eva Lisa (Pipsan) Saarinen (1905-1979), daughter of Eliel and Loja Saarinen, studied weaving, ceramics, and fabric design at University of Helskini. She married Bob in 1926...
Dates: 1900 - 1983