Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Historic buildings

 Subject
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings

Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:

Benedict House Records

 Collection
Identifier: 2020-04
Abstract The Benedict House, formerly located at 710 N. Woodward in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, was built in 1819 and later owned by John Benedict. The property changed hands a few more times and was eventually demolished in 1978. The “Ad Hoc Committee to Save the Benedict House, Inc.” was formed by Ronald S. Swanson, Sylvia de P. Swanson, and Michael Cotter to salvage important features of the house including the woodwork, moldings, window casings, and the original hand-made red brick, before its...
Dates: 1967 - 1978

Cranbrook Architectural Office Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1989-01
Abstract Records of the Cranbrook Architectural Office which was responsible for the supervision, inspection, approval and acceptance of all construction work at Cranbrook, beginning with Eliel Saarinen's leadership through its closure in the 1980s. The materials reflect the planning and building phases of the Brookside School (BS), Christ Church Cranbrook (CCC), Cranbrook Academy of Art (CAA), Cranbrook House, Cranbrook Institute of Science (CIS), Cranbrook School (CS), Kingswood School (KS), and...
Dates: 1925 - 1987

Edward and Ruth Adler Schnee Papers

 Collection
Identifier: 2010-06
Abstract Ruth Adler Schnee (1923- ) is an internationally recognized award-winning fabric designer, interior designer, entrepreneur, and founding-figure of contemporary textile design in the United States. Her family fled Nazi Germany and settled in Detroit, Michigan where Ruth attended Cass Technical High School ('1942). A Rhode Island School of Design and Cranbrook Academy of Art graduate, she met and married Edward Schnee in 1948, and together they owned and operated Adler/Schnee, a design and...
Dates: 1828 - 2009; Majority of material found within 1942 - 2009