Art --Study and teaching
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 7 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract Roy Slade was President of Cranbrook Academy of Art (CAA) and Director of the Cranbrook Art Museum (CAM) from 1977-1995. During his tenure, Saarinen House was restored, DeSalle Auditorium was constructed, the permanent collection of the Art Museum was developed, the New Studios building was planned, and new CAA faculty and staff were hired. Records from his office provide a comprehensive look at CAA, including meeting minutes, planning documents, correspondence with alumni/ae, and photographic...
Dates: 1974 - 1995
Abstract In 1927 George G. Booth established the Cranbrook Academy of Art as an educational environment where students could come and learn from master artists in residence. In 1942, the Museum and Library were opened. The Art Museum was intended not only to house artworks acquired from George G. Booth through the Cranbrook Foundation, but also to serve as a teaching tool through its permanent collections and exhibitions in both the museum and the library. This collection contains publications such as...
Dates: 1931 - 1999
Abstract The Cranbrook Academy of Arts Women’s Committee was founded on February 11, 1966 as the social arm of the Friends of the Academy (the Museum’s new membership program). The committee’s purpose was to promote and undertake activities and projects that would further the welfare of the Academy and the Museum. Throughout nearly forty years the committee hosted numerous events, programs, and fundraising projects until disbanded in 2002. The bulk of the collection reflects primarly the Women's...
Dates: 1966 - 2006
Abstract Cranbrook P.M., a continuing education and outreach program, was founded in 1973 by the Cranbrook School Mother’s Council. The program, which became defunct by the mid-1990s offered a series of evening classes, lectures, seminars, workshops, tours, etc. focusing on the arts, languages, math, music, sports, and the sciences. The collection primarily focuses on the program's curricula, however there is a small amount of material associated with its administrative functions.
Dates: 1975 - 1994; Majority of material found within 1991 - 1993
Abstract After various attempts at a school for young children in the area, the Bloomfield Hills School opened in 1922, occupying the Meeting House owned and built by George G. Booth at Lone Pine and Cranbrook Roads. With subsequent building additions by Booth and his son Henry Scripps Booth, the student body likewise grew from eight students in its first year to 101 by 1929. A private co-ed school for students in grades K-6, the school officially became Brookside School Cranbrook in 1930. Undergoing...
Dates: 1922 - 2019; Majority of material found within 1923 - 1999
Abstract George H. Mitchell and Almeron Whitehead first published The Birmingham Eccentric on 2 May 1878 in Birmingham, Michigan. The four-page issue was a combination of short personal announcements and advertisements. Although both partners wrote for their paper, Whitehead took on the bulk of the writing duties. Under their leadership the paper thrived. In 1912, the two dissolved their partnership as friends leaving Mitchell as the sole publisher. In July 1919, Fred E. Van Black, a linotype operator...
Dates: 1930 - 2000
Abstract Margueritte Eleanor Kimball was born on October 19, 1906, in Clinton, Massachusetts. In 1942 Kimball joined the Cranbrook Academy of Art as a student and immediately began serving as the Academy's financial secretary. A beloved and respected member of the Cranbrook community, Kimball used her position to interact with and collect various materials relating to the Academy's faculty and students. Kimball retired in 1968, nevertheless spending her remaining years in Boston as an exhibiting artist....
Dates: Majority of material found in circa 1941-1996; undated