Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 5 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract Henry Scripps Booth and Carolyn Farr Booth, lovers of art, music, and travel, were lifelong advocates of Cranbrook, dedicated to its development, both physically and organizationally. Henry (1897-1988) was the second son of the founders of Cranbrook, George Gough Booth and Ellen Scripps Booth. Carolyn (1902-1984) was the daughter of Merton E. Farr, president of the American Shipbuilding Company. While an architecture student at the University of Michigan, Henry helped his father design the...
Dates: 1897 - 1988; Majority of material found within 1909 - 1988
Abstract James Scripps Booth, an automobile designer, artist, and philosopher was the eldest son of George Gough Booth and Ellen Scripps Booth born May 31, 1888, in the Trumbull Avenue home of his grandfather James Edmund Scripps, founder and publisher of the Detroit Evening News. He built a prototype of the Bi-Autogo and in 1913 Booth, uncle William J. Scripps and John Batterman formed the Scripps-Booth Cyclecar Company, manufacturers of small, belt-driven vehicles, the JB Rocket and the Packet....
Dates: 1907 - 1980
Abstract Henry Scripps Booth, youngest son of the Cranbrook founders, developed the idea of organizing an auxiliary for the purpose of helping to preserve and improve the gardens surrounding Cranbrook House. The inaugural meeting of the Cranbrook Gardens Auxiliary took place the 4th of March, 1971, at Cranbrook House. The success of this organization led to the creation of the Cranbrook House Auxiliary in 1975 to organize the use of Cranbrook House for receptions and provide information about the house...
Dates: 1950 - 2002
Abstract After various attempts at a school for young children in the area, the Bloomfield Hills School opened in 1922, occupying the Meeting House owned and built by George G. Booth at Lone Pine and Cranbrook Roads. With subsequent building additions by Booth and his son Henry Scripps Booth, the student body likewise grew from eight students in its first year to 101 by 1929. A private co-ed school for students in grades K-6, the school officially became Brookside School Cranbrook in 1930. Undergoing...
Dates: 1922 - 2019; Majority of material found within 1923 - 1999
Abstract Jons Robert (Bob) Ferdinand Swanson (1900-1981) graduated from the University of Michigan School of Architecture in 1924, where he had and become friends with Henry Scripps Booth. In 1924, they established the architectural firm, Swanson and Booth. In 1927, the partnership dissolved and Bob established his own practice. Eva Lisa (Pipsan) Saarinen (1905-1979), daughter of Eliel and Loja Saarinen, studied weaving, ceramics, and fabric design at University of Helskini. She married Bob in 1926 and...
Dates: 1900 - 1983