Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 6 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract Henry Scripps Booth and Carolyn Farr Booth, lovers of art, music, and travel, were lifelong advocates of Cranbrook, dedicated to its development, both physically and organizationally. Henry (1897-1988) was the second son of the founders of Cranbrook, George Gough Booth and Ellen Scripps Booth. Carolyn (1902-1984) was the daughter of Merton E. Farr, president of the American Shipbuilding Company. While an architecture student at the University of Michigan, Henry helped his father design the...
Dates: 1897 - 1988; Majority of material found within 1909 - 1988
Abstract From 1925 to 1927, Curtis attended the Hill School in Birmingham and in September 1927 he became a charter member of Cranbrook School by entering as a first former. He graduated from Cranbrook School in 1933. It was during the summer of 1927 that Curtis met Cranbrook School's first headmaster, William O. Stevens. He admired Dr. and Mrs. Stevens and they ultimately maintained a close friendship throughout the rest of their lives. Roswell Curtis was an organizer and original member of the Alumni...
Dates: 1906 - 1980
Abstract In 1939, Tony Rosenthal attended the Cranbrook Academy of Art to study sculpture with Carl Milles. There he met and became friends with Charles Eames, Florence Schust Knoll, Eero Saarinen, and others. After WWII, Rosenthal worked on commissions for several architectural firms and taught sculpture at UCLA. In 1960, he moved to New York City where he exhibited in galleries and received commissions to create outdoor sculptures in New York City, Honolulu, Ann Arbor, and other cities. In 1980,...
Dates: 1939 - 2000
Abstract Finnish architect, Gottlieb Eliel Saarinen was born August 20, 1873. In 1904 Saarinen married artist Minna Carolina Mathilde Louise “Loja” Gesellius (b. 1879). The Saarinen's daughter Eeva Lisa “Pipsan” was born in Helsingfors, Finland on 31 March 1905 and their son Eero was born in Kyrkslaett, Finland on 20 August 1910. In 1923 Eliel met the Detroit newspaper magnate George Gough Booth, who was to become his chief patron in America. At Booth’s invitation, Saarinen moved his practice to...
Dates: 1880 - 1989
Abstract Swanson Associates, Inc., an architectural and planning firm that incorporated interior design, was established in 1947 by J. Robert F. Swanson and Pipsan Saarinen Swanson. In December 1965, it split into two affiliated companies, Swanson Associates, Inc., and Countryside Investment Corporation, which managed rental and investment assets. Pipsan was its director and the Swanson family owned its stock. In 1973, Ludwig Jorgensen negotiated the purchase of the Lone Pine Inn from the Cranbrook...
Dates: 1924 - 1982
Abstract Jons Robert (Bob) Ferdinand Swanson (1900-1981) graduated from the University of Michigan School of Architecture in 1924, where he had and become friends with Henry Scripps Booth. In 1924, they established the architectural firm, Swanson and Booth. In 1927, the partnership dissolved and Bob established his own practice. Eva Lisa (Pipsan) Saarinen (1905-1979), daughter of Eliel and Loja Saarinen, studied weaving, ceramics, and fabric design at University of Helskini. She married Bob in 1926 and...
Dates: 1900 - 1983