Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 34 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract Bloomfield Hills Seminary, often referred to as the precursor to Brookside School, was formed in 1912 by a small group of Bloomfield Hills residents as a local private school to “give the young people of Bloomfield Hills, and those from nearby towns, the opportunity to study in the country; to offer a course of study that will fit them for life as well as for college.” It opened in a historic house built in 1820 by Ezra Parke and owned by George Booth, who added a five-class-room addition with...
Dates: 1912 - 1979; Majority of material found within 1912 - 1919
Abstract In 1927 George G. Booth established the Cranbrook Academy of Art as an educational environment where students could come and learn from master artists in residence. The Academy functioned as a department under the Cranbrook Foundation and included painting, architecture, sculpture, ceramics and decorative design. The first Academy students were taken in early 1930. Eliel Saarinen was the first President (1932-1946). In 1942, with the opening of the Museum and Library, the Academy became an...
Dates: Majority of material found within 1942 - 1973
Abstract The Cranbrook Academy of Arts Women’s Committee was founded on February 11, 1966 as the social arm of the Friends of the Academy (the Museum’s new membership program). The committee’s purpose was to promote and undertake activities and projects that would further the welfare of the Academy and the Museum. Throughout nearly forty years the committee hosted numerous events, programs, and fundraising projects until disbanded in 2002. The bulk of the collection reflects primarly the Women's...
Dates: 1966 - 2006
Cranbrook Educational Community Assistant to the President for Special Projects: Michael Boisvert and David Hart Records
Abstract The collection comprises of materials created or maintained by Michael Boisvert and David Hart who both served as assistant to the President of Special Projects at Cranbrook Educational Community (CEC). Boisvert served in this position from 1984-1985, and David Hart served from 1986-1993. The collection focuses on the internal strategic planning and external consultant master planning for institutional and campus development of Cranbrook Educational Community and its divisions. The files...
Dates: 1918 - 1996; Majority of material found within 1983 - 1993
Abstract Created in 1927, the Cranbrook Board of Trustees was the primary authority of the Cranbrook Foundation, which was established by George Gough and Ellen Scripps Booth to endow and support the Brookside School, Cranbrook School, Kingswood School, Christ Church Cranbrook, Cranbrook Institute of Science, and Cranbrook Academy of Art. In the 1970s, the Cranbrook Educational Community (CEC) was established, and as a result, the Foundation was liquidated, and Christ Church Cranbrook became an...
Dates: 1971 - 1999
Abstract Lillian Hinckley Bauder (1939- ) was President and Chief Executive Officer of Cranbrook Educational Community (CEC) from 1984 to 1996. A renowned author, educator and administrator, Dr. Bauder is also a respected community leader and a vigorous advocate for the arts. The collection includes committee meeting materials from the Architectural Advisory Committee, the Governance Committee, the Compensation, and Long-Range Planning Committees as well as the Board of Trustees and the Ad Hoc...
Dates: 1922 - 2006
Abstract The records were created and maintained by Diane Shane Stupka, the assistant to the President of the Cranbrook Educational Community (CEC) from 1981 to 1987. The collection contains records regarding the Board of Trustees and their committees, the different divisions of the CEC and their committees, and other groups related to Cranbrook. Some items from the Cranbrook Foundation era (1927-73) are included, but the majority of the collection deals with the reorganization of the Cranbrook...
Dates: 1942 - 1991
Abstract The Cranbrook Foundation was established on November 28, 1927, by George Gough Booth and Ellen Scripps Booth. It was a trust and administrative entity to endow and support the six institutions that George and Ellen had founded: Brookside School Cranbrook, Christ Church Cranbrook, Cranbrook Academy of Art, Cranbrook Institute of Science, Cranbrook School, and Kingswood School Cranbrook. It's initial mission was, "to add to and strengthen the educational and cultural facilities within the State...
Dates: 1926 - 1973
Abstract The father of George G. Booth, founder of Cranbrook (Bloomfield Hills, MI) emigrated from Cranbrook, Kent. Cranbrook School, Kent is located about 40 miles from London and for over 450 years the school has occupied the same site and has grown from the original building to its present 70 acres in the town of Cranbrook. This small artificial collection, contains information about Cranbrook School's namesake in England, primarily containing publications with a small amount of correspondence.
Dates: 1931 - 1982
Abstract A boys school in Sydney, Australia, sharing the same name as Cranbrook School in Blooomfield Hills, MI, was established in 1918. The school was originally organized as an Anglican boarding and day school, and was governed by a School Council consisting of eighteen clergy and laymen. Junior facilities expanded with the establishment of two kindergartens (or Pre-schools) in 1944 at St Michael's Church Hall, Vaucluse and St Mark's Church Hall, Darling Point. This small artificial collection...
Dates: 1929 - 1982