Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 10 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract Bloomfield Hills Seminary, often referred to as the precursor to Brookside School, was formed in 1912 by a small group of Bloomfield Hills residents as a local private school to “give the young people of Bloomfield Hills, and those from nearby towns, the opportunity to study in the country; to offer a course of study that will fit them for life as well as for college.” It opened in a historic house built in 1820 by Ezra Parke and owned by George Booth, who added a five-class-room addition...
Dates: 1912 - 1979; Majority of material found within 1912 - 1919
Abstract In 1927 George G. Booth established the Cranbrook Academy of Art as an educational environment where students could come and learn from master artists in residence. The Academy functioned as a department under the Cranbrook Foundation and included painting, architecture, sculpture, ceramics and decorative design. The first Academy students were taken in early 1930. Eliel Saarinen was the first President (1932-1946). In 1942, with the opening of the Museum and Library, the Academy became an...
Dates: Majority of material found within 1942 - 1973
Abstract The Cranbrook Foundation was established on November 28, 1927, by George Gough Booth and Ellen Scripps Booth. It was a trust and administrative entity to endow and support the six institutions that George and Ellen had founded: Brookside School Cranbrook, Christ Church Cranbrook, Cranbrook Academy of Art, Cranbrook Institute of Science, Cranbrook School, and Kingswood School Cranbrook. It's initial mission was, "to add to and strengthen the educational and cultural facilities within the...
Dates: 1926 - 1973
Abstract After various attempts at a school for young children in the area, the Bloomfield Hills School opened in 1922, occupying the Meeting House owned and built by George G. Booth at Lone Pine and Cranbrook Roads. With subsequent building additions by Booth and his son Henry Scripps Booth, the student body likewise grew from eight students in its first year to 101 by 1929. A private co-ed school for students in grades K-6, the school officially became Brookside School Cranbrook in 1930. Undergoing...
Dates: 1922 - 2019; Majority of material found within 1923 - 1999
Abstract Cranbrook School was established by a Trust Indenture on 15 January 1926 to, “provide for the moral and religious education of the youth committed to its care,” under the supervision of three governing boards: the Board of Directors, the Advisory Board, and the Board of Trustees. Originally conceived as a Church school of Christ Church Cranbrook by September of 1924, George Booth had decided that the school should have a separate site to allow for expansion. When it opened on September 19,...
Dates: 1927 - 1985
Abstract Kingswood School Cranbrook was a day and boarding school for girls beginning with the seventh grade and continuing through the twelfth grade. Kingswood School was established through a deed of Trust executed on July 24, 1930, between the Cranbrook Foundation and a Board of Trustees consisting of William T. Barbour, Ralph Stone, Luman W. Goodenough, Alvan Macauley, Clarence H. Booth, James Inglis, and Sidney D. Waldon. The Board selected Gladys Turnbach, of Miss Hall’s School in Pittsfield,...
Dates: 1930 - 1985
Abstract Wallace McMahon Mitchell was born on October 9, 1911 in Detroit, Michigan to Arthur Z. and Edith McMahon Mitchell. He was a respected painter, textile designer, geometric abstractionist, and a Cranbrook Academy of Art (CAA) graduate student (’35). He later served at the Academy as a painting, and arts and crafts instructor; registrar; director; and then president until his death in 1977. The collection contains the papers of Mitchell and his family during his years at Cranbrook. Included are...
Dates: 1934 - 1980
Abstract Ralph Rapson, born on September 13, 1914, in Alma, Michigan, won a scholarship to the University of Michigan's College of Architecture in 1935. Admitted to the Phi Kappa Phi Society in 1938, he was encouraged to apply for the George G. Booth Travelling Fellowship in Architecture. He did not receive the fellowship but his submission impressed Eliel Saarinen, who offered Rapson a scholarship to attend the Academy of Art, where he helped Saarinen on a planning project for the State Capitol...
Dates: 1935 - 1954
Abstract William Oliver Stevens was headmaster of Cranbrook School from 1927-1935. These documents consist of office records in the form of correspondence, carbon copies, and drafts from William O. Stevens, first headmaster of Cranbrook School. Additionally, there is correspondence after his tenure at Cranbrook, but concerning Cranbrook masters, other employees, and alumni is included. Some black and white photographs are appended to alumni, faculty and student documents. The bulk of the collection...
Dates: 1927 - 1935
Abstract Lee A White was a journalist, working for the Detroit News from 1911 until his retirement in 1952, except between 1914-1917, when he was an associate professor and chairman of the journalism department at the University of Washington. He developed a close relationship with George G. Booth, serving as his Editorial Secretary and, from 1936, he also served as Chief Librarian for the newspaper, and became its first Director of Public Relations. He served as Director of Cranbrook School for 20...
Dates: 1926 - 1958