Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 10 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract The Cranbrook Academy of Arts Women’s Committee was founded on February 11, 1966 as the social arm of the Friends of the Academy (the Museum’s new membership program). The committee’s purpose was to promote and undertake activities and projects that would further the welfare of the Academy and the Museum. Throughout nearly forty years the committee hosted numerous events, programs, and fundraising projects until disbanded in 2002. The bulk of the collection reflects primarly the Women's...
Dates: 1966 - 2006
Cranbrook Educational Community Assistant to the President for Special Projects: Michael Boisvert and David Hart Records
Abstract The collection comprises of materials created or maintained by Michael Boisvert and David Hart who both served as assistant to the President of Special Projects at Cranbrook Educational Community (CEC). Boisvert served in this position from 1984-1985, and David Hart served from 1986-1993. The collection focuses on the internal strategic planning and external consultant master planning for institutional and campus development of Cranbrook Educational Community and its divisions. The files...
Dates: 1918 - 1996; Majority of material found within 1983 - 1993
Abstract Created in 1927, the Cranbrook Board of Trustees was the primary authority of the Cranbrook Foundation, which was established by George Gough and Ellen Scripps Booth to endow and support the Brookside School, Cranbrook School, Kingswood School, Christ Church Cranbrook, Cranbrook Institute of Science, and Cranbrook Academy of Art. In the 1970s, the Cranbrook Educational Community (CEC) was established, and as a result, the Foundation was liquidated, and Christ Church Cranbrook became an...
Dates: 1971 - 1999
Abstract The Cranbrook Foundation was established on November 28, 1927, by George Gough Booth and Ellen Scripps Booth. It was a trust and administrative entity to endow and support the six institutions that George and Ellen had founded: Brookside School Cranbrook, Christ Church Cranbrook, Cranbrook Academy of Art, Cranbrook Institute of Science, Cranbrook School, and Kingswood School Cranbrook. It's initial mission was, "to add to and strengthen the educational and cultural facilities within the...
Dates: 1926 - 1973
Abstract The collection pertains to the administrative functions of the Board of Trustees for Cranbrook Schools, governing Brookside, Cranbrook, and Kingswood Schools, and which exsited for three years (1970-1973). When Cranbrook was reorganized as the Cranbrook Educational Community (CEC), with a unified Board of Trustees, the Schools' board was renamed the Cranbrook Schools Board of Governors. It began serving in an advisory capacity to the Cranbrook Schools Division. The collection comprises of...
Dates: 1966 - 1999
Abstract George H. Mitchell and Almeron Whitehead first published The Birmingham Eccentric on 2 May 1878 in Birmingham, Michigan. The four-page issue was a combination of short personal announcements and advertisements. Although both partners wrote for their paper, Whitehead took on the bulk of the writing duties. Under their leadership the paper thrived. In 1912, the two dissolved their partnership as friends leaving Mitchell as the sole publisher. In July 1919, Fred E. Van Black, a linotype...
Dates: 1930 - 2000
Abstract Jeanne (Hargreaves) Graham graduated from Kingswood School in 1957. Her parents, Jeanne Wilson Hargreaves and William B. Hargreaves also graduated from Kingswood and Cranbrook, both in 1935. Jeanne Graham's grandfather, Charles Wilson, gave the commencement speech at the 1957 Kingswood graduation ceremonies and, at the time, was the United States’ Secretary of Defense. This small collection contains papers and memorabilia from both Jeanne Graham and her parents' days as students at Cranbrook...
Dates: 1934 - 1957
Abstract The Horizon’s Upward Bound (HUB) program was initially established in 1965 by Cranbrook Schools as a two-phased (Summer Phase and Winter Phase) residential educational program designed to assist low-income students from the Detroit area. This grant funded program, initially run by Director Ben Snyder, offered academic and personal encouragement with the purpose of exposing children to higher education and professional career opportunities. The program was supported by grants from the Ford...
Dates: 1965 - 2000
Abstract John W. (Jack) Kausch (1929-2002) was a Cranbrook School ('47) and University of Michigan ('56) alum whose keen interest in photography and film led to a lucrative career as a photographer, filmmaker, and entrepreneur. His first stint as a photographer for Cranbrook’s student newspaper (The Crane), and yearbook (The Brook) was the launchpad for his 34-year long career. Kausch not only owned a photographic studio in Birmingham, MI, he participated in projects organized by the likes of the Jam...
Dates: 1960 - 2001
Abstract William Oliver Stevens was headmaster of Cranbrook School from 1927-1935. These documents consist of office records in the form of correspondence, carbon copies, and drafts from William O. Stevens, first headmaster of Cranbrook School. Additionally, there is correspondence after his tenure at Cranbrook, but concerning Cranbrook masters, other employees, and alumni is included. Some black and white photographs are appended to alumni, faculty and student documents. The bulk of the collection...
Dates: 1927 - 1935