Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 7 Collections and/or Records:
Cranbrook Educational Community Assistant to the President for Special Projects: Michael Boisvert and David Hart Records
Abstract The collection comprises of materials created or maintained by Michael Boisvert and David Hart who both served as assistant to the President of Special Projects at Cranbrook Educational Community (CEC). Boisvert served in this position from 1984-1985, and David Hart served from 1986-1993. The collection focuses on the internal strategic planning and external consultant master planning for institutional and campus development of Cranbrook Educational Community and its divisions. The files...
Dates: 1918 - 1996; Majority of material found within 1983 - 1993
Abstract Created in 1927, the Cranbrook Board of Trustees was the primary authority of the Cranbrook Foundation, which was established by George Gough and Ellen Scripps Booth to endow and support the Brookside School, Cranbrook School, Kingswood School, Christ Church Cranbrook, Cranbrook Institute of Science, and Cranbrook Academy of Art. In the 1970s, the Cranbrook Educational Community (CEC) was established, and as a result, the Foundation was liquidated, and Christ Church Cranbrook became an...
Dates: 1971 - 1999
Abstract The Cranbrook Foundation was established on November 28, 1927, by George Gough Booth and Ellen Scripps Booth. It was a trust and administrative entity to endow and support the six institutions that George and Ellen had founded: Brookside School Cranbrook, Christ Church Cranbrook, Cranbrook Academy of Art, Cranbrook Institute of Science, Cranbrook School, and Kingswood School Cranbrook. It's initial mission was, "to add to and strengthen the educational and cultural facilities within the...
Dates: 1926 - 1973
Abstract Kingswood School Cranbrook was a day and boarding school for girls beginning with the seventh grade and continuing through the twelfth grade. Kingswood School was established through a deed of Trust executed on July 24, 1930, between the Cranbrook Foundation and a Board of Trustees consisting of William T. Barbour, Ralph Stone, Luman W. Goodenough, Alvan Macauley, Clarence H. Booth, James Inglis, and Sidney D. Waldon. The Board selected Gladys Turnbach, of Miss Hall’s School in Pittsfield,...
Dates: 1930 - 1985
Abstract George H. Mitchell and Almeron Whitehead first published The Birmingham Eccentric on 2 May 1878 in Birmingham, Michigan. The four-page issue was a combination of short personal announcements and advertisements. Although both partners wrote for their paper, Whitehead took on the bulk of the writing duties. Under their leadership the paper thrived. In 1912, the two dissolved their partnership as friends leaving Mitchell as the sole publisher. In July 1919, Fred E. Van Black, a linotype...
Dates: 1930 - 2000
Abstract The Horizon’s Upward Bound (HUB) program was initially established in 1965 by Cranbrook Schools as a two-phased (Summer Phase and Winter Phase) residential educational program designed to assist low-income students from the Detroit area. This grant funded program, initially run by Director Ben Snyder, offered academic and personal encouragement with the purpose of exposing children to higher education and professional career opportunities. The program was supported by grants from the Ford...
Dates: 1965 - 2000
Abstract Lee A White was a journalist, working for the Detroit News from 1911 until his retirement in 1952, except between 1914-1917, when he was an associate professor and chairman of the journalism department at the University of Washington. He developed a close relationship with George G. Booth, serving as his Editorial Secretary and, from 1936, he also served as Chief Librarian for the newspaper, and became its first Director of Public Relations. He served as Director of Cranbrook School for 20...
Dates: 1926 - 1958