Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract In 1927 George G. Booth established the Cranbrook Academy of Art as an educational environment where students could come and learn from master artists in residence. The Academy functioned as a department under the Cranbrook Foundation and included painting, architecture, sculpture, ceramics and decorative design. The first Academy students were taken in early 1930. Eliel Saarinen was the first President (1932-1946). In 1942, with the opening of the Museum and Library, the Academy became an...
Dates: Majority of material found within 1942 - 1973
Abstract Ralph Rapson, born on September 13, 1914, in Alma, Michigan, won a scholarship to the University of Michigan's College of Architecture in 1935. Admitted to the Phi Kappa Phi Society in 1938, he was encouraged to apply for the George G. Booth Travelling Fellowship in Architecture. He did not receive the fellowship but his submission impressed Eliel Saarinen, who offered Rapson a scholarship to attend the Academy of Art, where he helped Saarinen on a planning project for the State Capitol...
Dates: 1935 - 1954
Abstract William Oliver Stevens was headmaster of Cranbrook School from 1927-1935. These documents consist of office records in the form of correspondence, carbon copies, and drafts from William O. Stevens, first headmaster of Cranbrook School. Additionally, there is correspondence after his tenure at Cranbrook, but concerning Cranbrook masters, other employees, and alumni is included. Some black and white photographs are appended to alumni, faculty and student documents. The bulk of the collection...
Dates: 1927 - 1935