Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Photographs

 Subject
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings

Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:

Ellen Warren Scripps Booth Papers

 Collection
Identifier: 1981-03
Abstract Ellen Warren Scripps Booth co-founder of Cranbrook with her husband George G. Booth, was eldest daughter of James E. Scripps, founder of the Evening News (later the Detroit News), and Harriet J. Messinger Scripps. As a young woman, Ellen Booth did editorial work for both the Evening News and the Detroit Tribune, which her father purchased in 1891. She was the mother of five children: James S. Booth (1888-1954), Grace E. Booth (1890-1978), Warren S. Booth (1894-1987), Henry S. Booth (1897-1988),...
Dates: 1870 - 1948

Cranbrook Foundation Office Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1981-05
Abstract The Cranbrook Foundation was established on November 28, 1927, by George Gough Booth and Ellen Scripps Booth. It was a trust and administrative entity to endow and support the six institutions that George and Ellen had founded: Brookside School Cranbrook, Christ Church Cranbrook, Cranbrook Academy of Art, Cranbrook Institute of Science, Cranbrook School, and Kingswood School Cranbrook. It's initial mission was, "to add to and strengthen the educational and cultural facilities within the State...
Dates: 1926 - 1973

Cranbrook Lower School Brookside Records

 Collection
Identifier: 2002-04
Abstract After various attempts at a school for young children in the area, the Bloomfield Hills School opened in 1922, occupying the Meeting House owned and built by George G. Booth at Lone Pine and Cranbrook Roads. With subsequent building additions by Booth and his son Henry Scripps Booth, the student body likewise grew from eight students in its first year to 101 by 1929. A private co-ed school for students in grades K-6, the school officially became Brookside School Cranbrook in 1930. Undergoing...
Dates: 1922 - 2019; Majority of material found within 1923 - 1999

Lee A. White Papers

 Collection
Identifier: 1979-02
Abstract Lee A White was a journalist, working for the Detroit News from 1911 until his retirement in 1952, except between 1914-1917, when he was an associate professor and chairman of the journalism department at the University of Washington. He developed a close relationship with George G. Booth, serving as his Editorial Secretary and, from 1936, he also served as Chief Librarian for the newspaper, and became its first Director of Public Relations. He served as Director of Cranbrook School for 20...
Dates: 1926 - 1958