Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 8 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract James Carmel, a National Academy of Design graduate, worked as the Assistant Preparator at Cranbrook Institute of Science from 1939-early 1970s. He shared a suite at the Academy of Art with Harry Bertoia, and became part of the social life of Cranbrook with Carl Milles, Charles and Catherine Eames, Maija Grotell, Marshall Fredericks, Marianne Strengell, Clifford West and Zoltan Sepeshy. The collection reflects mainly his work for the Institute of Science, and to a lesser extent his...
Dates: 1973 - 1998
File — Box 4, Folder: 6
Collection Scope From the Collection: The collection consists chiefly of correspondence, photographs, early writings of Strengell and published works of her father, Gustaf Strengell, textile samples and her work in the Philippines. SERIES I: Personal (1620-1998) contains materials relating to Strengell’s family, specifically several works by her father, Gustaf Strengell, in Finnish. In addition there are notebooks of her early drawings and writings, and an illustrated story written by daughter Sandra Dusenbury at age...
Dates: 1989 - 1992
Abstract The Cranbrook Foundation was established on November 28, 1927, by George Gough Booth and Ellen Scripps Booth. It was a trust and administrative entity to endow and support the six institutions that George and Ellen had founded: Brookside School Cranbrook, Christ Church Cranbrook, Cranbrook Academy of Art, Cranbrook Institute of Science, Cranbrook School, and Kingswood School Cranbrook. It's initial mission was, "to add to and strengthen the educational and cultural facilities within the...
Dates: 1926 - 1973
Abstract Eliel Saarinen, along with his wife Loja, son Eero, daughter Pipsan, and son-in-law J. Robert F. Swanson, founded a creative tradition at Cranbrook that endures to this day. The Saarinens' fame and design philosophies attracted many of the brightest talents in the architectural, design, and planning fields to study at Cranbrook or to work for their businesses --- known variously as Saarinen and Swanson; Saarinen and Saarinen; Saarinen, Swanson, and Saarinen; Swanson Associates; and Eero...
Dates: 1995 - 2001
Abstract Swanson Associates, Inc., an architectural and planning firm that incorporated interior design, was established in 1947 by J. Robert F. Swanson and Pipsan Saarinen Swanson. In December 1965, it split into two affiliated companies, Swanson Associates, Inc., and Countryside Investment Corporation, which managed rental and investment assets. Pipsan was its director and the Swanson family owned its stock. In 1973, Ludwig Jorgensen negotiated the purchase of the Lone Pine Inn from the Cranbrook...
Dates: 1924 - 1982
Abstract Jons Robert (Bob) Ferdinand Swanson (1900-1981) graduated from the University of Michigan School of Architecture in 1924, where he had and become friends with Henry Scripps Booth. In 1924, they established the architectural firm, Swanson and Booth. In 1927, the partnership dissolved and Bob established his own practice. Eva Lisa (Pipsan) Saarinen (1905-1979), daughter of Eliel and Loja Saarinen, studied weaving, ceramics, and fabric design at University of Helskini. She married Bob in 1926...
Dates: 1900 - 1983
Abstract Richard Thomas graduated from the Cranbrook Academy of Art in May 1948 with an MFA in painting, subsequently re-establishing the Metalsmithing Department at the Academy and becoming Head for thirty-six years. He also served in other administrative capacities for the Academy, including Dean of Students (1951-50), Registrar (1962-65), Administrative Assistant to the President (1965-66), and Dean of Students (1968). His chief interest was liturgical art, fabricating around 300 objects for...
Dates: 1930 - 1984; Majority of material found within 1950 - 1978
Abstract Lee A White was a journalist, working for the Detroit News from 1911 until his retirement in 1952, except between 1914-1917, when he was an associate professor and chairman of the journalism department at the University of Washington. He developed a close relationship with George G. Booth, serving as his Editorial Secretary and, from 1936, he also served as Chief Librarian for the newspaper, and became its first Director of Public Relations. He served as Director of Cranbrook School for 20...
Dates: 1926 - 1958