Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 49 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract The Cranbrook Art Museum (CAM) was originally housed in what is known today as the Academy of Art Administration building, along with the Academy of Art Library. The Art Museum was, and still is, a department of the Academy of Art. This collection holds materials relating to exhibitions between 1940 and 1976. This includes master checklists, loan forms and correspondence, shipping and packing records, condition surveys, insurance valuations, installation documents, checklist iterations, and...
Dates: 1940 - 1976
Cranbrook Educational Community Assistant to the President for Special Projects: Michael Boisvert and David Hart Records
Abstract The collection comprises of materials created or maintained by Michael Boisvert and David Hart who both served as assistant to the President of Special Projects at Cranbrook Educational Community (CEC). Boisvert served in this position from 1984-1985, and David Hart served from 1986-1993. The collection focuses on the internal strategic planning and external consultant master planning for institutional and campus development of Cranbrook Educational Community and its divisions. The files...
Dates: 1918 - 1996; Majority of material found within 1983 - 1993
Abstract Lillian Hinckley Bauder (1939- ) was President and Chief Executive Officer of Cranbrook Educational Community (CEC) from 1984 to 1996. A renowned author, educator and administrator, Dr. Bauder is also a respected community leader and a vigorous advocate for the arts. The collection includes committee meeting materials from the Architectural Advisory Committee, the Governance Committee, the Compensation, and Long-Range Planning Committees as well as the Board of Trustees and the Ad Hoc...
Dates: 1922 - 2006
Abstract The Cranbrook Foundation was established on November 28, 1927, by George Gough Booth and Ellen Scripps Booth. It was a trust and administrative entity to endow and support the six institutions that George and Ellen had founded: Brookside School Cranbrook, Christ Church Cranbrook, Cranbrook Academy of Art, Cranbrook Institute of Science, Cranbrook School, and Kingswood School Cranbrook. It's initial mission was, "to add to and strengthen the educational and cultural facilities within the State...
Dates: 1926 - 1973
Abstract Henry Scripps Booth, youngest son of the Cranbrook founders, developed the idea of organizing an auxiliary for the purpose of helping to preserve and improve the gardens surrounding Cranbrook House. The inaugural meeting of the Cranbrook Gardens Auxiliary took place the 4th of March, 1971, at Cranbrook House. The success of this organization led to the creation of the Cranbrook House Auxiliary in 1975 to organize the use of Cranbrook House for receptions and provide information about the house...
Dates: 1950 - 2002
Abstract Frederick Olds photographed special events for the Cranbrook Educational Community (CEC) from 1982-2002. The bulk of this work was with the Cranbrook-Kingswood Dancers under the leadership of Jessica Sinclair. Sinclair studied with modern dance legends, such as Martha Graham, Merce Cunningham, and Jose Limon. and began teaching modern dance as part of Kingswood School’s physical education program. During her tenure, Sinclair was responsible for the growth of Cranbrook’s dance department. In...
Dates: 1982 - 2002
Abstract This collection is based upon the rededicatory production in September 1991 of The Cranbrook Masque, first staged at Cranbrook’s Greek Theatre in 1916. The collection comprises of materials collected by Mark Coir, former Cranbrook Archives Director, and chair of the Cranbrook Greek Theatre Rededication Committee. Included are audiovisual materials; correspondence; financial; and administrative records. Also included are publicity, and production materials including a script, a musical score,...
Dates: 1916 - 1992; Majority of material found within 1983 - 1991
Abstract Cranbrook history dates back to 1904 when George and Ellen Booth purchased land in Bloomfield Hills, MI for their home. The next five decades saw the majority of this land transformed into an educational, artistic, and scientific community. In the early 1970s, a major reorganzition created the Cranbrook Educational Community. More than a century later, in 2021, this Community comprises five program areas: Cranbrook Schools, Cranbrook Art Academy, Cranbrook Art Museum, Cranbrook Institute of...
Dates: circa 1830-; Majority of material found within 1931 - 1970
Abstract In 1900, George Gough Booth established the Cranbrook Press at the Detroit Evening News building. The enterprise lasted only two years, but it was later revived at Cranbrook in 1930. The Print Shop was headed by Edward Alonzo Miller, a well-known typographer, and Jean Eschmann, a bookbinder of high repute, and already employed by Booth, provided fine leather bindings. The first volume produced by Miller and Eschmann was a service book for the Festival of Gifts at Cranbrook Church. The...
Dates: 1929 - 1975
Abstract After various attempts at a school for young children in the area, the Bloomfield Hills School opened in 1922, occupying the Meeting House owned and built by George G. Booth at Lone Pine and Cranbrook Roads. With subsequent building additions by Booth and his son Henry Scripps Booth, the student body likewise grew from eight students in its first year to 101 by 1929. A private co-ed school for students in grades K-6, the school officially became Brookside School Cranbrook in 1930. Undergoing...
Dates: 1922 - 2019; Majority of material found within 1923 - 1999