Gardening --Societies, etc.
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract Henry Scripps Booth and Carolyn Farr Booth, lovers of art, music, and travel, were lifelong advocates of Cranbrook, dedicated to its development, both physically and organizationally. Henry (1897-1988) was the fourth child of the founders of Cranbrook, George Gough Booth and Ellen Scripps Booth. Carolyn (1902-1984) was the daughter of Merton E. Farr, president of the American Shipbuilding Company. While an architecture student at the University of Michigan, Henry helped his father design the...
Dates: 1897 - 1988; Majority of material found within 1909 - 1988
Abstract Henry Scripps Booth, youngest son of the Cranbrook founders, developed the idea of organizing an auxiliary for the purpose of helping to preserve and improve the gardens surrounding Cranbrook House. The inaugural meeting of the Cranbrook Gardens Auxiliary took place the 4th of March, 1971, at Cranbrook House. The success of this organization led to the creation of the Cranbrook House Auxiliary in 1975 to organize the use of Cranbrook House for receptions and provide information about the house...
Dates: 1950 - 2002
Abstract In 1951, Maija and her husband Hans moved to a three acre property in Birmingham, Michigan three miles southeast of Cranbrook. Over the course of thirty years, Maja created the largest and most diverse wild plant garden in Michigan, with over 300 varieties of plants. Her wildflower garden was widely visited attended by garden enthusiasts and tour groups, and often attracted publicity in the local press. She developed a close friendship with botanist James R. Wells of Cranbrook Institute of...
Dates: 1982 - 1989
Abstract Betty Trost was an avid gardener, whose love of gardening extended beyond her own home to Cranbrook, where she became one of seventeen charter members of the Cranbrook Gardens Auxiliary in 1971. Trost was interested in researching and documenting the history of the gardens and the auxiliary. In 1994, she began gathering information regarding the history and development of the individual garden areas, in anticipation of the 25th anniversary of the auxiliary. From 1996 to its completion in 1998,...
Dates: 1951 - 2005