Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract Installed in 1927, the original Christ Church carillon was a gift from local resident Harold L. Wallace and his family. Wallace worked closely with the foundry and the architect of the church, Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue Associates, in determining the physical space requirements and the number of octaves and bells to be employed. World-renowned carilloneur Anton Brees of Antwerp played the carillon at its Christ Church dedication on September 30, 1928 and he returned to Cranbrook every summer...
Dates: 1928 - 2022
Abstract In 1923, George Gough Booth wrote to the Rev. Samuel Simpson Marquis with his ideas for building an Episcopal church and school on the Cranbrook estate to serve the needs of the growing Bloomfield Hills community. Booth would fund the construction of the church and provide an endowment for its maintenance. After obtaining the agreement of Bishop Herman Page, hiring and architect and a contractor, a groundbreaking ceremony took place on July 5, 1925. Christ Church Cranbrook was consecrated on...
Dates: 1923 - 2002
File — Box 3, Folder: 18
Collection Scope From the Collection: SERIES I. James Scripps Booth (1899-1989) contains an autobiographical manuscript, an edited biographical manuscript of George Gough Booth, manuscripts of Jean McLaughlin Booth's works, correspondence, clippings, designs, blueprints, sketches, photographs, photographic prints and negatives, catalogs, diaries and books.SERIES II. John McLaughlin Booth (1966-1981) contains correspondence, meeting minutes, reports and printed materials of the Cranbrook Art Academy. III....
Dates: 1926 - 1940
Abstract This collection documents the life and work of Rev. Dr. Samuel Simpson Marquis (1866-1948). Ordained as an Episcopalian priest, he served parishes in Massachusetts before being called to St. Joseph's Church in Detroit, Michigan. In 1906, he became Dean of St. Paul's Cathedral where he oversaw construction of the new cathedral building designed by Ralph Adams Cram. Between 1915-1920, he worked in the Welfare Department of Ford Motor Company before returning to St. Joseph's in 1921. He moved...
Dates: 1817 - 1985; Majority of material found within 1889 - 1940