Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Architecture

 Subject
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings

Found in 12 Collections and/or Records:

Cranbrook Skating Club Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1995-83
Abstract The Cranbrook Skating Club began as an outgrowth of the Cranbrook Arena Committee. It operated from January 12, 1957 until 1982. It was designed and constructed by Chas. R. Beltz and Company, Cronk and Tocco, The Garrison Company, and the W.J. Stewart companies, to resemble the Williams College facility. In addition to overseeing all aspects of the ice rink operations, the club provided skating for both the public and Cranbrook’s inter-scholastic hockey team six months of the year. Unique in...
Dates: 1952 - 1982; Majority of material found within 1956 - 1980

George Gough Booth Papers

 Collection
Identifier: 1981-01
Abstract The collection documents the life and work of George Gough Booth, a renowned advocate of the arts, and a great philanthropist whose crowning achievement was the establishment of Cranbrook Educational Community. He was also one of the nation's leading newspapermen in the first half of this century. It includes biographical materials including legal documents, travel itineraries, talks and writings, and the financial and business records of the Cranbrook Press. It documents his working life and...
Dates: 1864 - 1949

Cranbrook Academy of Art Administration Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1981-09
Abstract In 1927 George G. Booth established the Cranbrook Academy of Art as an educational environment where students could come and learn from master artists in residence. The Academy functioned as a department under the Cranbrook Foundation and included painting, architecture, sculpture, ceramics and decorative design. The first Academy students were taken in early 1930. Eliel Saarinen was the first President (1932-1946). In 1942, with the opening of the Museum and Library, the Academy became an...
Dates: Majority of material found within 1942 - 1973

Cranbrook Academy of Art Women's Committee

 Collection
Identifier: 1991-01
Abstract The Cranbrook Academy of Arts Women’s Committee was founded on February 11, 1966 as the social arm of the Friends of the Academy (the Museum’s new membership program). The committee’s purpose was to promote and undertake activities and projects that would further the welfare of the Academy and the Museum. Throughout nearly forty years the committee hosted numerous events, programs, and fundraising projects until disbanded in 2002. The bulk of the collection reflects primarly the Women's...
Dates: 1966 - 2006

Cranbrook Architectural Office Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1989-01
Abstract Records of the Cranbrook Architectural Office which was responsible for the supervision, inspection, approval and acceptance of all construction work at Cranbrook, beginning with Eliel Saarinen's leadership through its closure in the 1980s. The materials reflect the planning and building phases of the Brookside School (BS), Christ Church Cranbrook (CCC), Cranbrook Academy of Art (CAA), Cranbrook House, Cranbrook Institute of Science (CIS), Cranbrook School (CS), Kingswood School (KS), and...
Dates: 1925 - 1987

Cranbrook Architecture Office Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1998-13
Abstract Dr. Lillian H. Bauder, former President and Chief Executive Officer for the Cranbrook Educational Community (CEC), developed the Cranbrook Architecture Office. During the years 1984-1996 the Cranbrook Architecture Office was responsible for designing and fabricating additions, repairs, or renovations to the grounds, structures, or buildings of the Cranbrook community. The collection comprises of materials relative to the Brookside school, the Log Jam Arch, the Pedestrian Bridge, Pickle Place,...
Dates: 1992 - 1998

Cranbrook Educational Community President's Office: Dr. Lillian H. Bauder Records

 Collection
Identifier: 2020-08
Abstract Lillian Hinckley Bauder (1939- ) was President and Chief Executive Officer of Cranbrook Educational Community (CEC) from 1984 to 1996. A renowned author, educator and administrator, Dr. Bauder is also a respected community leader and a vigorous advocate for the arts. The collection includes committee meeting materials from the Architectural Advisory Committee, the Governance Committee, the Compensation, and Long-Range Planning Committees as well as the Board of Trustees and the Ad Hoc...
Dates: 1922 - 2006

Cranbrook Foundation Office Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1981-05
Abstract The Cranbrook Foundation was established on November 28, 1927, by George Gough Booth and Ellen Scripps Booth. It was a trust and administrative entity to endow and support the six institutions that George and Ellen had founded: Brookside School Cranbrook, Christ Church Cranbrook, Cranbrook Academy of Art, Cranbrook Institute of Science, Cranbrook School, and Kingswood School Cranbrook. It's initial mission was, "to add to and strengthen the educational and cultural facilities within the State...
Dates: 1926 - 1973

Cranbrook Photograph Collection

 Collection
Identifier: 2020-03
Abstract Cranbrook history dates back to 1904 when George and Ellen Booth purchased land in Bloomfield Hills, MI for their home. The next five decades saw the majority of this land transformed into an educational, artistic, and scientific community. In the early 1970s, a major reorganzition created the Cranbrook Educational Community. More than a century later, in 2021, this Community comprises five program areas: Cranbrook Schools, Cranbrook Art Academy, Cranbrook Art Museum, Cranbrook Institute of...
Dates: circa 1830-; Majority of material found within 1931 - 1970

Cranbrook Lower School Brookside Records

 Collection
Identifier: 2002-04
Abstract After various attempts at a school for young children in the area, the Bloomfield Hills School opened in 1922, occupying the Meeting House owned and built by George G. Booth at Lone Pine and Cranbrook Roads. With subsequent building additions by Booth and his son Henry Scripps Booth, the student body likewise grew from eight students in its first year to 101 by 1929. A private co-ed school for students in grades K-6, the school officially became Brookside School Cranbrook in 1930. Undergoing...
Dates: 1922 - 2019; Majority of material found within 1923 - 1999