Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Architecture

 Subject
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings

Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:

Cranbrook Academy of Art Administration Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1981-09
Abstract In 1927 George G. Booth established the Cranbrook Academy of Art as an educational environment where students could come and learn from master artists in residence. The Academy functioned as a department under the Cranbrook Foundation and included painting, architecture, sculpture, ceramics and decorative design. The first Academy students were taken in early 1930. Eliel Saarinen was the first President (1932-1946). In 1942, with the opening of the Museum and Library, the Academy became an...
Dates: Majority of material found within 1942 - 1973

Cranbrook Academy of Art Women's Committee

 Collection
Identifier: 1991-01
Abstract The Cranbrook Academy of Arts Women’s Committee was founded on February 11, 1966 as the social arm of the Friends of the Academy (the Museum’s new membership program). The committee’s purpose was to promote and undertake activities and projects that would further the welfare of the Academy and the Museum. Throughout nearly forty years the committee hosted numerous events, programs, and fundraising projects until disbanded in 2002. The bulk of the collection reflects primarly the Women's...
Dates: 1966 - 2006

Cranbrook Foundation Office Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1981-05
Abstract The Cranbrook Foundation was established on November 28, 1927, by George Gough Booth and Ellen Scripps Booth. It was a trust and administrative entity to endow and support the six institutions that George and Ellen had founded: Brookside School Cranbrook, Christ Church Cranbrook, Cranbrook Academy of Art, Cranbrook Institute of Science, Cranbrook School, and Kingswood School Cranbrook. It's initial mission was, "to add to and strengthen the educational and cultural facilities within the State...
Dates: 1926 - 1973

Saarinen Family Papers

 Collection
Identifier: 1990-08
Abstract Finnish architect, Gottlieb Eliel Saarinen was born August 20, 1873. In 1904 Saarinen married artist Minna Carolina Mathilde Louise “Loja” Gesellius (b. 1879). The Saarinen's daughter Eeva Lisa “Pipsan” was born in Helsingfors, Finland on 31 March 1905 and their son Eero was born in Kyrkslaett, Finland on 20 August 1910. In 1923 Eliel met the Detroit newspaper magnate George Gough Booth, who was to become his chief patron in America. At Booth’s invitation, Saarinen moved his practice to...
Dates: 1880 - 1989